Author Topic: Ruck family of Orcop  (Read 6829 times)

guest189040

Re: Ruck family of Orcop
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Dave

Amos’s daughter Laura was my Great Grandmother, she married William Evans and they settled in Monmouth where the Evans family were shoemakers (there is a thread Evans the Shoemakers in the Monmouthshire section).

Not sure how far back you have managed to get but Kilpeck seems to crop up regularly and so does a possible of a Blacksmith Ruck in Hereford but this needs further research.

Edward born c1819 is the problem, there are at least two Edward Rucks baptised in Orcop in the space of a few years, with different parents so I cannot be sure who is correct but bear in mind that Edward got married in 1837 so the latter baptism which has Richard and Amelia as parents is questionable and it is these two who are listed on a lot of Ancestry trees without supporting evidence.

We did tour of Monmouth to see where the Evans lived and around Herefordshire and visited Orcop and other locations where the Rucks lived and found that Amos is burried in Llangattock Vibon Avel cemetery.  In the Orcop church cemetary there are a lot of familiar family names but alas no Ruck’s.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 January 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the Ruck section here: http://www.peasantstopuddles.org/ruck.htm ? Orcop gets a mention.

My mother-in-law's maiden name was Ruck and her branch of the family came from West Malvern, right on the border between Worcestershire and Herefordshire - that's for the 20th century, prior to that I seem to recall Mathon being mentioned. She talked of a Welsh connection too (and has Evans in her ancestry, but I guess everybody from Wales does).

Although she did a lot of family research herself before she got ill and died in 2015 it's all a bit of a muddle (as it seems father-in-law directed the research mainly to his side of the family). If you do find, or suspect, a West Malvern/Mathon connection I can see what she has left.
Nicholas Ley of Worcester, 1685-1725
Cotterell/Cottrell/Cottrill/Cottryl etc of Worcester, 1500-1650

guest189040

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 January 20 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.

The family tree in the link does look very interesting.

Kilpeck, I do have people born on my Ruck tree there but I only are back at c1818 with an Edward Ruck who was born in Orcop.

I have not looked at the Rucks in more detail for a while now as I have been waiting for more records to be put online.  Will have to do a bit more work on them again.