Author Topic: 1842 Roman Catholic marriage ceremonies ADELAIDE SA Indexed NSW BDM Vol 93  (Read 2074 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I have been checking some of the volunteer genealogy research done by one of my late NSW  forebears back in the 1940s and earlier.  And so I note that among the many Early Church Records that the NSW BDM Registry holds there seems to be some summary information for Roman Catholic marriage ceremonies conducted at Adelaide South Australia in 1842.  I have checked the information from my forebear against the online index currently available at the NSW BDM website :

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

I am not familiar with South Australia’s BDM records, but on the off-chance that there are RChatters searching for these 1842 marriages I am listing them here.   

As far as I know, I am not related to any of these people. 

My interest is simply in sharing the information.  I should note that the Early Church Records (the “V” series) indexed at NSW BDM includes information about many  baptisms, burials and marriages where the clergy conducting the service then transmitted a summary to the NSW Chaplains, as per a general order originally issued by Gov Lachlan Macquarie in 1810.  Of course, not all the clergy followed the practices that developed from that general order, but some did.

I hope this very short list will be useful.   It is likely that the summary transmitted to the NSW Chaplains (and then from the 1820s to the 1850s to their Denominations Head Representative in NSW)  will not include the names of the parents of the bride and the groom, unless one was a minor, requiring consent.  The name of the person giving consent may have been included in the summary.  It is likely that the names of the witnesses will be included.  It is possible that the ages of the bride and/or the groom may have been recorded by the clergy in the white space next to their signatures, however I do not know IF that is at all likely.

From Volume 93 of the Early Church Records held by NSW BDM

Line 2737 Thomas GREENHAM and Mary TOOLE
Line 2738 John BIRMINGHAM and Winifred MARTIN
Line 2739 William HOMER and Margaret O’NEIL
Line 2740 William LOWE and Sarah FLEMMING
Line 2741 James WHITE and Sarah REILLY
Line 2742 William C KATER and Mary QUINLIVAN
Line 2743 Sebastian SMITH and Margaret O’DEA
Line 2744 Patrick HIGGIN and Helen KELLY

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.