Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up please  (Read 3819 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census look-up please
« on: Friday 20 July 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Can sks look for Cwmcoch Farm, Llandarrog, and let me know the family please. Many thanks, Syljun

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 July 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
HO107/1384/8/7/9
Cwmcoch
William Morgan, 50, farmer
Jane, 45
John 25
William Jones, 9
William Evans, 15
All b. Carmarthenshire
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks brevitas, This farm seemed to change ownership very often. Can I ask you if a Davies or David family were at Cwmcoch in 1851. I rather think this Farm was a tenant farm. I have various discs of Parish Registers of Llandarrog but still cannot join up the David family. My Grt.Grt.Grandfather William David was baptised 1801 Llandarrog. Father John David of Cwmcoch Farm. Cannot seem to find any siblings of William who I know moved to Llanelly when he married. Difficulty when name changes to Davies although Grt.Grandfather Thomas stuck to surname of David and then Grandfather was registered in surname of Davies. makes like fun researching. Anyone reading my request and has info. relating to William David b.1801 married Jane Lewis b.1808 who lived at Caemain, Llanelly with name changes to Davies I would be very grateful to join up dots. Thanks Syljun

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 July 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
1851 address is not showing easily

In 1861, there is a John Davies, 34, farmer of 35  acres, b. Llanarthney at Cwmgoch

It looks like this 1861 family is listed at Chwmchgoch  (transcribed as Churchgoch) in 1851 - HO107 2472/11/14 - maybe enumerator couldn't spell Cwm
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 July 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks brevitas, Most helpful, will try to check him out. Could be two families David and Davies. thank you for your help. Regards, syljun

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
Just to say that the 1851 Chwmchgoch is Cwmgoch - I've done a check on neighbouring properties.

By 1871, a family of Griffiths are there - 84 acres. I think you might be right in thinking about tenanting  - adding a few more fields/properties when the lease was renewed/changed. 

My 3 x great grandfather seemed to do this in Denbighshre/Merionethshire. He started off tenanting  a smallish farm and it graduallly expanded  ::)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 06:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks brevitas, I was hoping to go back further with John David, father of William but although I have a copy of a Marriage 1799 John David to Elizabeth Arthur it is merely guesswork. Would like to have got any siblings of William. There are other members of David family in Llandarrog but no concrete evidence. Llanarthney seems to be mentioned for some birthplaces so could be siblings born there. Thank you for your time and help. Regards, Syljun

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 12 09:01 BST (UK) »
I see that there are  these baptisms in Llandarrog for

William David 1 Feb 1801  s/o John David, Farmer at Cwmcoch
Thomas David, 12 Dec 1802 s/o John David, farmer, Cwmcoch
John David, 30 Sep 1804 s/o John David
William David, 24 March 1807 s/o John David

The last two baptism have no mention of residence, so maybe this is a different family. If not,  it suggests that the first William died and the second one was named for him.

There are two marriages:

1 Jan 1799  John David of the parish of Llanarthney to Elizabeth Arthur (one of the witnesses was a William John)
27 Nov 1800 John David of the parish of Llanarthney  to Margaret William

These are very odd - were there two Johns of Llanarthney?. I don't see any info on a burial for Elizabeth

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 July 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks brevitas, I did wonder if there were any more children, the names are common but are family names. The second William is a little mystery, probably a relative. The first William bap 1801 is my Grt.Grt.Grandfather. I went for the 1st marriage of John to Elizabeth as William's first son named John and first daughter Elizabeth which was usually the case of naming first children after parents.

You have added the sibling of Thomas which is a bonus which is another family name of my Grt.Grandfather so have given me more info. to research. There are probably more siblings but difficult to identify if the parents moved from Cwmcoch Farm.
Thank you for your help which has been invaluable. If you should spot anything which you think might be useful I would be very grateful.
Regards,
syljun