Author Topic: Ancestors of Samuel Kerr, Carrickfergus  (Read 20669 times)

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestors of Samuel Kerr, Carrickfergus
« on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
My G G Grandfather Samuel Kerr married Margaret Ann Millar in Joymount Pres Church Carrickfergus on the 24 June 1858.
His father William Kerr, Labourer
Her father John Millar
Witnessed by William Laughans and Margaret Nevin
Children of Samuel and Margaret:
Elizabeth Kerr 1.11.1858
James Kerr 24.9.1860
Margaret Kerr 3.10.1862
John Kerr 4.1.1865  married Margaret McNinch Hays 23.12.1892, she died between 1905 - 1911,
William Kerr 4.3.1867
Ellen Kerr 14.3.1873
Samuel Kerr 23.9.1875
I would be grateful if anyone had any information on the above and in particular Samuel Kerrs father William and when Margaret McNinch Kerr (Hays) died.
Many thanks...
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Samuel Kerr, Carrickfergus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
I found 3 of Samuel and Margarets children in 1901 census:
250 Middle Division, Carrickfergus
William Kerr (HOF) 30 General labourer
Maggie Kerr (Sis) 34 Weaver
Ellen Kerr (Sis) 25

Also at 5 Irish Quarter West, Carrickfergus, my Great Grandfather John Kerr with his wife Margaret, father in law William Hay, Children, Sarah (7) Elizabeth (4) Ellen (3) and Wilhilmina (1)

By1911 census I found John Kerr living with his brother and sister William and Maggie and his 7 children, living in Matchett Street, Belfast. Any info would be great regarding any of the Kerr family, many thanks..
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Also living in Middle Division is a James Kerr and his wife Eliza. This may be Eliza Ramsey who married James in Joymount Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus on 3 Sept 1886. His father was also Samuel. The only odd thing is that this family is given as Church of Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I spent a day at PRONI in Belfast and was able to get some information on the Kerrs from the records of Joymount Pres Church and found James, again I'm not sure, there appears to be lots of Kerrs.
I'm not sure how to look for deaths...very cheerful, but thanks for your help, Betty

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for date of death
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you don't know the date of death for a relative, how do you go about looking for it, thanks. Betty

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for date of death
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty
who is it your looking for? if you post the name and details someone on here might be able to help
regards
jim
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Is it to do with this thread (which I've now unlocked)?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=541653.0

The online civil registration index is a good place to start (goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties). There are also some Irish deaths 1864-1870 on the link below-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

PRONI Will Extracts is often helpful as exact date of death is listed (some of the Wills are also available- www.proni/gov.uk

Belfast City Cemetery database includes several cemeteries and will list details such as date of death, date of burial, residence, plot number.
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/

More recent (post 1921 deaths) for Northern Ireland are more difficult to find but sometimes you can find a gravestone inscription or details from a family member. Newpaper death notices and obituaries are not likely to be found online post 1900 but there are places in Northern Ireland where they can be viewed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for all the information...I'm trying to get a date of death for Margaret McNinch Kerr nee Hays. She was on the 1901 census in Carrickfergus, her last child was born around 1905/6 but she didn't show on the 1911 census, her husband and children were in Belfast for that. I will just keep looking, many thanks..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Since the date of death seems to be 1905/1911 try the civil registration index- the details there will allow you to order the death certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!