Author Topic: Robert Sewers 1806-1873  (Read 1331 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Sewers 1806-1873
« on: Saturday 21 July 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find some material about Robert Sewers, jeweller, of Panton Street, Haymarket.  He was born in Curry Rivel, Somerset around 1806 and married Marie Antoinette Le Monnier in 1835 at St George Hanover Square.  He joined R & S Garrard Co (Crown Jewellers) as a partner of the company in 1859.

By the 1861 census he had retired to Curry Rivel where he lived with his daughter Louisa Mary Sewers.  Louisa subsequently married Thomas Darby Berry in 1868 in Currey Rivel and Robert died 5 years later in 1873.

Any further information about Robert or his wife Maria Antoinette would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sewers 1806-1873
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

His burial details:  26th July 1873 at St. Andrew, Curry Rivel.  Age given as 68.

Headstone:  Robert Sewers, late of Townsend House, died 23 July 1873 in his 66th year.  He founded the Dame Schools and left a bequest to provide an annual Christmas payment of ten shillings each to thirty poor persons living in this parish.

His Will shows "effects under £16,000".

An online tree gives his parents as Philip Sewers (1753-1831) and Elizabeth Keetch (1773-1853).

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

I have seen the probate calendar entry for Robert Sewers.  His son-in-law Thomas Darby Berry was named as one of the executors of his estate.

I've traced some of Robert's siblings, in particular Philip Keetch Sewers who married Jane Ninneys and Mary Sewers who married Richard Caines.

I've not found any evidence that Robert Sewers had more than one child.  It's not clear to me that Marie Antoinette Le Monnier was Louisa Mary's mother but I can't find any other marriages for Robert Sewers. 

Regards,
Chris

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
The Morning Post, Dec 07 1859, death notices:
On the 4th inst, at 6, Buckland Villas, St. John's-wood, the residence of her uncle, Robert Sewers, Esq, Elizabeth Hester, youngest daughter of Mr Thomas Coate, of Langport, Somerset.

Is this the same man? Do you know where the "Coate" family comes in?

I see that Louisa Mary married under the name Louisa Mary Holmes (freebmd).  I also cannot find a clear birth for her under "Sewers".
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

1851 Census HO107 1481 folio 146
32 Panton Street St Martin in the Fields
Robert Sewers 45 Head Manager Married Jeweller & Silversmith Curry Rivel Somerset
other members of staff

Robert gives his status as married in 1861 and widower in 1871.

Possible in 1841 - looks like Sewers

HO107 733 Bk16 folio 15
Charles Street St George Hanover Square
Robert Sewers 30 Jeweller
Celia Sewers 30
Neither born in county
Plus one female servant

It might be worth ordering a copy of Robert's will and Louisa's marriage certificate if you haven't already to see what details they give.

Regards

Valda

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 12 07:03 BST (UK) »
jprose,

Thank you.  Elizabeth Hester Coate was living with her uncle Robert Sewers at the time of the 1859 census.  She was born in 1825 in Drayton, Somerset, daughter of Thomas Coate and his wife Elizabeth.  Thomas & Elizabeth had a clutch of children and fortunately their baptism are included in IGI.  One child was called Anne Sewers Coate which suggests perhaps the mother may have been Elizabeth Sewers, born around 1791 in Curry Rivel, Somerset, an older sister of Robert Sewers the jeweller.

I haven't yet unravelled why Robert's daughter married in the name of Holmes.  Possibly the marriage certificate will indicate why. 

Valda,

Many thanks for these two references.  I hadn't been able to locate either.  It does therefore seem Robert's first wife died soon after their marriage and he re-married to the woman called Celia (possibly Celia Holmes?).

Regards,
Chris

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 12 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

His first wife might have died (but then there would need to be a burial and/or from 1st July 1837 a death registration) or Celia might be his first wife wrongly recorded in the 1841 census, or his first marriage broke down and both went their separate ways and he was living with another woman as a married couple or he later lived with another woman and Louisa was her daughter. Or some other scenario. There isn't enough information from these two early censuses to tell. Both Louisa's marriage and Robert's will may give enough details to help piece together who Louisa was. There doesn't seem to be a birth registered in the surname Sewers for her.

Regards

Valda

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your help.  There are many scenarios as you say.  Robert married Marie Antoinette in 1835.  He is then shown living with a woman called Celia in 1841...there is no evidence that Celia was in fact his wife.  He is indicated to be still married in both the 1851 and 1861 census returns although there was no wife living with him at these times.  He was a widower by the time of the 1871 census.   Louisa Mary wasn't born until 1849 and is indicated to be his daughter in the 1861 census; however, she could have been an adopted daughter.  The connection between Robert and Lousia Mary must have been close as her first child with Thomas Darby Berry was named Robert Sewers Berry.  It seems to be a complex arrangement, but as you say the Will and marriage certificate may shed some light on the relationships.

Regards,
Chris