Author Topic: Internet Explorer problem  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer problem
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 July 12 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information jc26red......it makes me feel lots better because it confirms my thoughts.....I really couldn't remember choosing to install it.
Now I remember that my "major" hiccup last week involved 59 updates, which took ages to install. I had it set for automatic updates and they were underway before I could think about it.   Doubtless one of them involved a compulsory switch over.

Nick I think I will install another browser as my problem is intermittent.
I had a quick look yesterday to uninstall it....went to start, programs and features, installed updates.....scrolled down to microsoft windows section...... and it wasn't there  ::)     Didn't have time to work out why but all was well this morning, so I'll sleep on it and in any case install another browser.

Thanks so much for your help. Best wishes HL
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 08:30 BST (UK) »
Did you click the "All Programs" button in the start menu ?

I may be wrong here, but I think you un-install IE via the Control Panel >> Programs and Features route ?
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
No I didn't think of doing it that way for some reason.   ::)

I googled how to remove IE9 on vista and found how to do it that way. The only thing being that , as I said, it wasn't there!!

I've just looked under programs and it just has internet explorer(enable DEP)......don't know what that means and it wasn't installed recently.

At the moment I've only had the problem once since I started this thread and I've taken your advice and installed googlechrome. I'm just waiting for some spare time to be able to explore it in detail and I may very well be more impressed with that.
I have a very long string of favourites that I will need to export to chrome but you said it was possible so that's the first necessity.
Best wishes HL

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 July 12 08:35 BST (UK) »
DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is a feature in Vista and Windows 7 that prevents malicious code from altering or deleting programs.  You will have to disable it to 'delete' Internet Explorer - see http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/120778-dep-enable-disable.html

You can't actually delete Internet Explorer in Vista or Windows 7, you can only take it back to a previous version.

You can import your settings and bookmarks very easily in Google Chrome - just click on the small spanner icon in the top-right of the screen, and from within the drop-down box you will see 'Settings' - click on that, and at the bottom of the page that appears you will see an 'Import bookmarks and settings' box.

The things I particularly like about Chrome are the 'Easy Google Lookup' feature - just highlight a word or words, and right-click, and you'll see a 'Search Google' box.  There is also an add-on for Chrome which I find very useful - an automatic 'return to top of page' button that appears when you reach the bottom of a page, which smoothly scrolls you to the top again.  Very useful for long Ancestry/FindMyPast searches  ;D

Let us know how you get on - we're here to help  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 12 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Nick, you are teaching me things which are hard to find for yourself and I appreciate it so much.

I'm definitely going to explore and persevere with chrome.....it certainly sounds good.
Thanks for telling me how to import settings and bookmarks....I'll do that soon, but having a busy week.   :)

As for IE9 well I may leave it as it is for now.   When I first switched on half an hour ago I got to my home page, clicked on emails and it froze.  After a few clicks on various places  ::)   I had the message msn not responding and so I clicked for windows to check for solution and restore page.....only it didn't and so when I had the desk top I completely switched off and restarted and it was ok again.   Sometimes it freezes like that and sometimes I don't even get my home page, just a blank screen with no message but it's obviously unable to connect with IE.

Hopefully chrome will be an improvement, although there must be something wrong somewhere.

I read somewhere that the computer components don't like being switched on and off too much and so it worries me that I'm doing it an unnecessary number of times.

Thanks again for your time.  HL

Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Well I installed Chrome and imported my bookmarks etc and was getting on ok with it although I still tend to use IE9 as my first port of call.....more out of habit than anything else.

Then this morning, for the first time for a while, I couldn't connect to IE9 so I tried Chrome.......and firstly had the message that Norton was unresponsive and then a message that Chrome was unresponsive.

I turned the computer off completely and when I turned it on again all was well, although a little slow to connect.

It looks as though there may be a major problem lurking...what do you think?

Best wishes HL

Best wishes HL

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
Sounds like your problem is not confined to Internet Explorer.   It could be a hardware problem, like faulty memory chips or a failing disk drive.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

About 2 weeks ago I was met by a black screen with lots of writing on it...which I didn't have time to read ...before it said something like....checking a disc drive which may have a problem....but then after it had finished doing, whatever, all was well.  Probably relevant, by the sound of it.

What will the answer be?  If I take it to a local repair shop, is it the sort of thing they can fix?

Thanks once again for your time Nick   :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 09:34 BST (UK) »
A good repair shop should be able to fix it, but I can't say how good your local shop is - there's a lot of rogues out there, and some of them have branches all over the country  ::)

What I would suggest is that you back up any important data that you have on the PC to USB sticks or CD's before you take it anywhere  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.