Author Topic: which church in huddersfield? ? kirkheaton?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
which church in huddersfield? ? kirkheaton?
« on: Monday 23 July 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm hoping to find out which church Clarence ADDY and Edith HALLAS were married in, in December quarter 1919. The listing on FreeBMD just says Huddersfield. I need to find the date and church for this marriage, so that I can access the original entry to find their parents. I'd be grateful if anybody who has transcriptions could take a look. The marriage probably occurred at Kirkheaton, Lepton, Shelley area of Huddersfield. Many thanks

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: which church in huddersfield? ? kirkheaton?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Had a quick look and they are not showing up.
Huddersfield would be the registration district so could be anywere, The Addy surename is fairly common in the Almondbury, Newsome area.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Clarence is on the 1901 census with his parents and brothers.

Forth Addy aged 30 Collier Labourer
Susannah           28
Clarence               8
William                  7
Fred                      a few months

Living at Shelley. 

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that but I'm not 100% sure this is him. It probably is, and I did find this myself on ancestry, but I need to verify it by finding the marriage. There is another Clarence ADDY living in Sheffield

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

You might have to buy the marriage certificate then as in 1919 they
are not showing the full marriage certificate on ancestry.  It will only show
the Fathers not the Mothers name on these certificates.
I did see the Sheffield Clarence but you said he lived in the
Huddersfield area and thats the only one who married a 
Edith Hallas???

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Hammerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 19:03 BST (UK) »
The page number is 878.

If you look at the page mapping page on FreeBMD the page range is 687-1005.

Simple maths 878-687/1005-687 shows that the percentage is 60%. This in my opinion means a Register Office marriage.

This can be confirmed by copy pasting all the marriages in that quarter and by importing them into Excel and then sorting by page number. The first odd 50% are the CofE marriages. Note where churches have an odd number of marriages in the quarter.

From 853 to about 970 the marriages are four names to a page, classic register office numbering.

The remaining numbers from 971 to 1005 are again church weddings, but non-conformist.
Being so near the start of the register office numbers would suggest an October marriage in this case.
Greensmith - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Rigley - Nottinghamshire; Wightman - Nottinghamshire; Lee - Nottinghamshire; James - Berkshire (maybe Gloucestershire); Lyons - London; Harrop - Prestbury, Cheshire; Rockett - Middlesex; Chandler - Lambeth, Surrey (maybe Norfolk); Gates - Middlesex; Clark - Islip, Oxfordshire; Richards - Gouldhurst, Kent; Bent - Redbourne, Hertfordshire; Angel - Throwley, Kent; Coker - Middlesex; Bailey - West Lavington, Wiltshire

Offline Hammerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Always worth looking on the Public Family Trees on Ancestry to see if anyone else is researching the same name.

On there is a tree which has linked Clarence Addy to the Edith Hallis marriage. They have also found the baptism entry of Clarence on Ancestry (born 1892) at Shelley Church. Father given as Firth, mother Susannah. Clarence's brother William baptised at same time.

A fair amount of info. on their tree for the Addy's and Gill's (Susannah's maiden name). Have a look yourself, see if there's any other names you recognise. The tree owner may even be a relative of yours!

Of course, this tree owner may have just assumed these links, not having purchased the cert. But with a fairly uncommon first name as Clarence in the right area it looks right. Not meaning to rubbish this tree or any on Ancestry but the only way to be certain is to buy the cert.

Another 'Private' tree has this Clarence as well. You have to ask the owner for permission to view.
Greensmith - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Rigley - Nottinghamshire; Wightman - Nottinghamshire; Lee - Nottinghamshire; James - Berkshire (maybe Gloucestershire); Lyons - London; Harrop - Prestbury, Cheshire; Rockett - Middlesex; Chandler - Lambeth, Surrey (maybe Norfolk); Gates - Middlesex; Clark - Islip, Oxfordshire; Richards - Gouldhurst, Kent; Bent - Redbourne, Hertfordshire; Angel - Throwley, Kent; Coker - Middlesex; Bailey - West Lavington, Wiltshire

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 21 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm hoping to find out which church Clarence ADDY and Edith HALLAS were married in, in December quarter 1919. The listing on FreeBMD just says Huddersfield. I need to find the date and church for this marriage, so that I can access the original entry to find their parents. I'd be grateful if anybody who has transcriptions could take a look. The marriage probably occurred at Kirkheaton, Lepton, Shelley area of Huddersfield. Many thanks

HI, I have only just come across this thread - Assuming we both have the same Edith Hallas, I may have some info to help you as Edith Hallas was my Grandmothers Aunt. She is one of the few siblings I don't have any direct info for & my grandmother has passed so any info has gone with her. I have done some digging on ancestry & find my past & found her & Clarence in the 1939 register and done my best to research with this info. Unfortunately, I don't have a confirmation of the wedding certificate but I am going with the info on ancestry England & Wales Marriage Index until I can afford to purchase some more certificates & further my research.

I have attached a screenshot of the siblings I have researched so far - happy to help with any info I can. My Dad's cousin was close with Annie Hallas & has given me a little info & photos

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to this, Ediths parents were Walter Hallas Born 1861 & Elizabeth Radley Born 1861

They had 5 children that I know of, Annie Hallas born 1885, Edith Hallas Born 1893, Hubert Hallas Born 1896, Jackson Hallas Born & Died 1903 & Henry (aka Harry) Hallas Born 1887 who was my great grandfather.

I don't have any further info on the wedding but I have Ediths Birth certificate confirming her birthdate as 5th July 1893, the same date shown on the 1939 register which has her married to Clarence Addy Born 26th September 1892

Hi