Author Topic: Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)  (Read 15594 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)
« on: Monday 23 July 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Blyth friends!

Once again I have come across a little gem that I just have to share with you, this time regarding the old uncracked nut of Kitty Brewster.

A certain J. P. Godwin wrote a brief note to the Tyne & Tweed history magazine in the autumn of 1976 (issue no. 28) and this is what he wrote.

No copyright restrictions apply.

A Note on Kitty Brewster

This is a puzzling place-name, for which local tradition has catered by saying that a woman called Kitty lived here who was famous for her home-brew. It is, however, remarkable that a second place called Kitty Brewster exists on the west side of Aberdeen. It, to, has a similar tradition of one Kitty, a brewster. The key however, lies in the Gaelic word ceide, a little hill, which at Aberdeen, as at Blyth, was applied to a sloping bank about 50 feet high beside a river about 2 miles from it's mouth. James B. Johnston, in his Place Names of Scotland (1892; 3rd edition 1934 and reprinted 1970), states that in 1376 the place was called 'Browster Lands', and in 1615 'the den(e) called Kittiebrouster' occurs. He derives the name as 'Brewer's hill', adding "The reputed female innkeeper is a myth". For other such Kittys he adduces Kitty-salloch (at Minnigaff, near Newton Stewart, Galloway) and Kitty Frist Well (at Kilsyth, 1796).

The almost exactly similar appearance and siting (on the south banks of their rivers) of the two Kitty Brewsters might be mere coincidence, but is perhaps due to the arrival of Aberdonians at some time past, whom it reminded of home; there was formerly a considerable trade in iron with Scotland from Blyth, Bedlington, and district. These men, on seeing the spot, would have called it 'the Kitty-Brewster', as it is called to this day (not 'Kitty Brewster', tout court), having forgotten the significance of 'Brewster' here; and the name has stuck, aided by the latter myth.

Other such 'Kitty' place-names exist in Northumberland; e.e. Kitty Frisk, east of Hexham, on a steep hillside. There are other Gaelic ('Celtic') survivals in this land of Anglian place-names; Cambois, for instance, which is cammus, a bay, and is pronounced as such, rightly; the 'bois' in it's spelling is a later addition. Collecting these Northumbrian Gaelic names would be valuable: certainly interesting, the results might yield some significant surprises.

Hopefully those of you interested enough will find it quite informative. Whether you still want to believe that there was a woman brewing beer there or perhaps a woman of ill repute in that area, is entirely up to yourselves. Godwin certainly has put an altogether different and plausible light on it from my perspective.

Enjoy. Mention was made on the subject here;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,101741.0.html

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say, that with the transport of iron ore or other iron material, the site of Kitty Brewster being within a literal stones throw of the Furnace Bank and the iron works there, especially with the location of the Rose & Crown Inn and the refreshment that the Aberdeen men would most certainly have sought at that watering hole, the information above is most plausible!

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:52 BST (UK) »
I was just asked the other day about how Kitty Brewster got its name.  I said that nothing was substantiated but that I'd see what I could find.  Now I don't have to look  ;D

I like this interpretation and will forward a link to my friend

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 01:14 BST (UK) »
It's nice to be discovering these little gems for myself for the first time. We could do with getting all these old articles and references out into the open air and on the WWW where they can be appreciated again by current and future generations, instead of gathering dust on shelves. All that previous research and comment being kept in the dark isn't doing any justice to the authors or us! It just won't do.

Hope the info is appreciated when you pass it on.

P

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hmm, food for thought in there.

There must be a few people with similar information and references - all of which will be lost eventually.

Christine

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:22 BST (UK) »

Some years ago I picked up a mini user-guide from Blyth Library headed
 "Kitty Brewster(Notes taken from the Blyth News 2nd Sept 1971)"

Options listed are

1) Kitty murdered her 5 children by drowning them in wash tub
  2)Sailors  brought the name from Aberdeen
  3) Kitty Brewster pub ( formerly called the Foresters Arms) also doubled as a lock-up- a "kitty"
  4) Water from the Kitty Brewster well had medicinal properties and was sold by the bottle at the old "Rose & Crown" at Bebside Furnace.
   5) Kitty brewed ale in the vicinity and was known as Kitty the Brewster.
   6) Or name derived from Celtic words meaning " steep wooded place"

It contains other snippets but they are almost surely badly corrupted tales.

Godfrey Watson in his 1970 book "Goodwife Hot- Northumberland's Past in it's Place Names"  covers some of the above, but adds that in Northumbrian "kitty" meant small e.g. kitty wren.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
Just a minor point, but I always thought Kitty Brewster was to the north of Aberdeen city centre (the note attributed to J P Godwin refers to it being "west").
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Just a minor point, but I always thought Kitty Brewster was to the north of Aberdeen city centre (the note attributed to J P Godwin refers to it being "west").

I thought it interesting that he said / wrote that, when yes, Kitty Brewster is indeed to just over 1 mile to the north-west of the city. I have no suggestion to make!  ???

P

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 12 09:04 BST (UK) »
Another minor point  ;) but the Aberdeen version of the name is just one word, i.e. Kittybrewster, as opposed to the Kitty Brewster "down south".   :)
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden