Author Topic: Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)  (Read 15486 times)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 February 16 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Christine , thanks for the info on the old police station. Dont think I culd muster up enough folk to make a visit..will just let it rest in peace now. 
                           Dolly x
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you couldn't but I have a friend who is talking to them about going and there was another lady there who was interested.  They will just gather names of interested parties till they have enough.

I think the only thing that will prevent them is if the building is sold

Christine

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Right Christine, thank's , will bear this in mind. 
                                         Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Sending you a pm on this, Dolly

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 February 16 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Please check your email Christine. I have a request.

:)
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 February 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
The Spine Road construction took place mid 1970s, perhaps 1974 - 75, or 75 into 76. As a nipper growing up at Cowpen I can remember going to my nanna's at Bedlington and crossing the River Blyth by the river bridge (opened 1961 or 62?) but there being NO roadworks the north side of the bridge. I can remember the roadworks starting and the construction of the new road. I remember the first time my dad took us along the road after it was opened, he managed to get 85mph out of our old Hillman Avenger GLS. A wonder it didn't explode or disintegrate! I also remember my dad on some summer evenings heading for a walk along the construction site. I was always fascinated by the whirlpool on the Wansbeck, after the dam and lock had been built. Is that what created the river park on the Wansbeck. I recall going walking there and also canoeing with friends and family during the hot summer of 1976. That suggests the Spine Road was completed by then.

Very shortly after the Spine Road to the north of the River Blyth was opened, I remember two very nasty crashes which no doubt took place because of the new road layout and people not fully understanding it. The one we passed at night. Bedlington traffic trying to merge with southbound Spine Road traffic ended up in conflict and a lorry was involved in the crash. I saw one man with what looked like blood soaked hands, but it might have been grease. The other crash was a head on, on the bridge itself. I assume the vehicles involved hadn't merged (southbound) into single file traffic, resulting in a head-on. One van hit the east side parapet, and the driver (no seatbelts back then) was catapulted through his windscreen and fell into the mud far below. Fortunately for him, the tide was out. A police person at the scene looked in the van and realised what had happened and went down to the river to rescue the driver of the van. He was stuck in the mud! After his 'flight' the only injury he sustained was a broken arm! Probably a good job he was all muddied up, because I bet the interior of his pants were a bit of a state too! Exciting stories at the time for us kids, and of course the spectacle of seeing the wrecks. Perhaps some others having exciting stories to tell.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 February 16 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Hillman Avenger GLS, I suppose in its heyday it was quite a car. Harvest Gold with black vinyl roof. However, my dad was motoring on a budget whilst rearing his young family, and the Avenger was well past its prime. It needed daily, running repairs and maintenance to keep it going and I often ended up helping dad with the work on the car.

Once, at Moreton Hall camping site at Edinburgh, whilst sitting having an alfresco tea, we heard on odd sound (like tinkling rust) from the car, and as we turned to see what it was the WHOLE front fell off! Headlamps, grill and valence. My dad, ever resourceful managed to tie it all back on with my mothers 40 foot green nylon washing line. The temporary repair lasted till we got home. Dad ordered fibreglass wings, and valence, and we had a merry time rebuilding the front of the car.

The day we took the poor thing for scrap, my dad charged up a dodgy old battery, and put 4 bald punctures tyres on the car. We pumped the tyres up to probably 60psi and quickly started the car, hoping the dud battery would last long enough to get us to the scrap yard. My dad drove in proudly, did a deal, and away we walked. We could hear the tyres hissing as they were going down, and the scrapman was most confused after we'd driven it into the yard, that when he got into it, it wouldn't start. My dad didn't look back. I think we had shandy made with Newcastle Brown Ale that night and prawn cocktail crisps. And they wonder why WE call them 'the good old days'.

;D

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 February 16 00:57 GMT (UK) »
The Spine Road construction took place mid 1970s, perhaps 1974 - 75, or 75 into 76.

I think the road may have been built before this. I have a distinct memory of my uncle taking my brother and me for a walk up to Bebside to see the giant excavation that would become the flyover by the current Asda store. He died in 1970. I'll look into it.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 February 16 01:04 GMT (UK) »
The Spine Road from the south, to the 'new' Kittybrewster Bridge was completed by 1961/2. But in the instance of the photo discussion we are talking about the Spine Road, NORTH of the River Blyth.

P