Author Topic: Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)  (Read 15603 times)

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty Brewster (Cowpen)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 July 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
The first paragraph of the quote in the first post, I'm sure, is framed and hanging on the wall in the Kitty.
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 July 12 03:49 BST (UK) »
That's a good excuse to go visit the watering hole! Is it still a functioning pub? I might just go in there myslef when I am visiting the frozen north in August.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
According to Wiki - apologies to all who dispute its accuracy  ;) the origin of Kittybrewster (Aberdeen) is as follows:

In 1376 the lands around Kittybrewster were known as the Browster lands.  The name Kittybrewster is a derivation from the Celtic "Cuitan Briste", meaning "broken fold".
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
That's a good excuse to go visit the watering hole! Is it still a functioning pub? I might just go in there myslef when I am visiting the frozen north in August.

P

The Kitty, like a lot of pubs around the area has had some financial woes and quite a few changes of tenant, but still continues to function and offers reasonably priced Sunday lunches.
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 July 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
 Anyone visiting the Kitty Brewster Hotel for historical purposes, should also try to take in The Bebside Inn, Kings Arms and the Windmill Inn.

Nice feature of the building housing the Kitty ( or the "Bowster", as my father used to call it) is the rounded corner, rather than the normal right angle, where Kitty Brewster Road meets Cowpen Road.

Trivia Angle-  In late 1800s and early 1900s the Kitty rubbed shoulders with a neighbour- The Percy Arms.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline villageguides

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 January 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
A major feature of Kitty Brewster now is the Spine Road. The section leading up to the bridge was, I think, one of the first parts of the Spine Road to be built in the early 1960's. This photograph showing the Spine Road under construction was labelled c.1980's. This looks way too late for me. Is there anyone one there with better local knowledge can tell me:

(a) What the likely date of the photo is (the car and the state of the power station should provide good clues) and,
(b) Where they think it was taken (north of Kitty Brewster bridge, or south)?

Enjoy the detective work!

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 January 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Sadly the "Kitty" is  no longer! It is now a butchers shop!
    There are only 2 pubs remaining on that stretch of road, the Bebside Inn and the Kings Arms.
     Something I saw today.....A luxury hotel is being built on the quayside, it looks really grand, apparently being built in time for the "Tall Ships"..it's all happening down there, thoroughly enjoyed myself...
    Also walked to the police station hoping I would get a look round, but must be closed Sundays ...
                        Dolly

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 16 23:30 GMT (UK) »
It's closed all the time now, Dolly.  They are on the Quayside at Arms Evertyne House and you'd need to get in touch to organise it.  I think they usually take a party around rather than one at a time.

Christine

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 February 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
villageguides, I cannot help with the dating of your photograph. However, I worked at Blyth power station in the offices of the construction firm, Mitchells of Peterborough, in 1960-61.  We travelled by the new bridge at Bebside then turned right down towards the power station.  Your photo shows all 4 chimneys at the power station completed.  When I left in 1961 the 2 chimneys of the B station were only at a height of about 200-250 feet.  It looks as though your photo will have been taken much later than the 1960s.