Author Topic: any information on j.yates and sons antiques  (Read 7294 times)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any information on j.yates and sons antiques
« on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
hi their lookin for any information on john Yates antiques shop in stirling around the 1920s and 30s .this would of been my grt uncles shop ,would like to know where in stirling it was and wonder if any rootschatters have any old pics of this shop many thanks davidpaul.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: any information on j.yates and sons antiques
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
Index for Stirling Observer Annual for 1950 shows entry for John Yates' death in 1950, so presumably there was obituary printed which probably included details of where his business was. Perhaps someone going to Stirling Library could have a peek. (in annual index entry is shown as being on p10)

Sandy

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
cheers sandymcj the thing is i live in newcastle and would be hard to get to stirling maybe sum one may have look for me if am lucky have herd from family that this shop was past on to his son Alfred Yates ,many thanks for the info tho davidpaul
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
Afraid I don't live there any more either! As business carried on after John Yates' death, I had a look in 1960's phone books on ancestry. Business is listed at 5 Bank St which is a short st between Baker st and Spitall St in Stirling. plugging 5 Bank st into Google it comes up as a listed building. If you look here there's a link to google earth and you can see what it looks like today
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-41227-5-bank-street-and-52-spittal-street-

cheers

Sandy

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 23:58 BST (UK) »
cheers sandymcj.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Alfie Yates shop in Bank Street, I can remember it well.
It is now a coffee shop, and was on the corner of Spittal Street and Bank Street.
I must have a pic of that corner somewhere in my Stirling Collection, I'll have a look.
A large window on the Spittal Street side, and a little door on the Bank street side.
The Yates's lived in a big house in St John's Street up the road from the shop, the area was called Shirra's Green and I can remember it quite well, there are houseS standing there now, right opposite the Old High School entrance in Academy road.
I'm trying to remember a family they were related to, I think it was Illingworth, yes I'm sure it was.
I'm away for a few days as from today, I'll have a better look for a pic when I get back.

Stewart

(I've just found an old pic, the house is on the left hand side, a bit different today)
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
what a result thanks stewart am looking forward to chatting to you when you get back Alfie Yates was my grannies cousin she was called Nellie boga and her brother lived up their he was called Alfie boag thanks again stewart . still have family up their that i still see who where illingworth Mary illingworth married to a Jim MC culloch .davidpaul

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
What a find!

This photograph shows the Illingworth shop at 82 Baker Street. It has to have been taken in 1938 as can be shown with the posters on the gable end of the building.

I've also traced some pics of the Illingworth shop in St.Mary's Wynd, which were taken in the early 1920's. I'll post them next.

I'm unable to find any better of the Yates shop at the moment, and I'm surprised I can't find a pic of the Blewitt shop, but I'll keep looking.

Stewart
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Now I really like this pic, it is taken from Broad Street facing St. Mary's Wynd, it is supposed that it was taken in the early 1920's. If you look at the sign at the right hand side, it says Illingworth's Saleroom.
I have another taken at the same time, from a different angle, showing the corner of Broad Street, and you can make out the shop front.
Look carefully and there is an old biddy at the shop, wouldn't it be something if she was one of your relatives!
cheers Stewart
Donaldson from Thornhill