Author Topic: any information on j.yates and sons antiques  (Read 7263 times)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: any information on j.yates and sons antiques
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
many many thanks stirling76 just got lots of pics of family in stirling the only pics i need know are one s of the bullochs up their hopefully you ll come up with something cheers stewart.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 August 12 00:54 BST (UK) »
I could be wrong ,  but......
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 August 12 09:04 BST (UK) »
thanks for the pic fergie .when do you think this was taken as think they first opened this shop around late 1890s thanks David.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 August 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
My uncle Alfie Yates shop.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 October 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You wouldn't happen to know if John Yates had a personal collection of antiques/millitaria?

I'm researching an object in a museum. It was part of a 'John Yates Collection' and entered the museum in July 1951. Given that old Mr Yates died in October 1950 I thought it could potentially have been a legacy.

I have absolutely no proof that the John Yates I am looking for is the one connected to Stirling - but you can't beat a bit of circumstantial evidence...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Windsor87
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 October 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Theirs a strong possibility that j Yates is your man.what I do know is that Edinburgh musem holds certain items he found.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 October 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
I have lots of information j.yates if that helps ,also would be very interested in what you have found regards David.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 October 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
I have lots of information j.yates if that helps ,also would be very interested in what you have found regards David.

Essentially I'm doing an object study for a gorget which was noted as coming from the "John Yates valuable collection of Scottish antiquities".

The object was in the estate of a notable Aberdeenshire family until probably at least 1917, when around about that date the estate was wound up (although no date is available). The John Yates collection had two objects which we know must have come from the estate so possibly picked up at the same sale/auction in the 1920s.

The object entered the Museum through an Aberdonian collector who seems to make clear when depositing the item that it is not necessarily his, but part of the so called John Yates collection.

Would be interested to know if you knew what the Yates of Stirling collected/sold, and which items they may have donated to museums in the past.

I think that the object I am dealing with is somewhat fake. The good news is that it wasn't faked by Yates, I think the originally family - at the very least - have wrongly attributed some provenance to it - probably in error. 
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Helennewberry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 October 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
My great uncle and aunt Alfred and Fairly née Kinnaird Yates lived in knockhill house, anyone know of them