Author Topic: Nationality query  (Read 10547 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nationality query
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Is there a general rule as to which ancestors you use to declare your nationality? And do you use where they were born as the main criteria, or do you have to add in where their parents were from?

For instance, I was born in Essex to Welsh parents, and having lived back in Wales for nearly 50 years have always declared myself to be Welsh. And until 6 months ago when I started my family tree, I believed my ancestors to be Welsh. How wrong I was!

~ My parents and grandparents were born in Wales (all in Cardiff); but...
~ of my great grandparents, 4 were born in England, 3 in Wales and 1 in Ireland (though they all lived in Cardiff for many years and all died here); and
~ of my great great grandparents.. 7 were born in England, 5 in Ireland, and 4 in Wales. 

I guess it doesn't matter which you use, unless you wish to claim nationality for one reason or another (sports) but I just wondered if there is an accepted use.

Thanks.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Nationality query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 00:10 BST (UK) »
Isn't your nationality where you yourself were born - not where your parents etc were born?

My husband was born in Wales but both parents were born in England.  He has always used Welsh as his nationality
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
If you was born in England then your english with roots from elsewhere.
On a census you would put born England
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Is there a general rule as to which ancestors you use to declare your nationality?
Thanks.

Deirdre

I don't think there is a general rule, everyone is different.

I consider myself Welsh because I was born and brought up in Wales (I have one Welsh parent and one Irish parent).I 100% feel Welsh, even though I'm 50 50 by blood. Wales is was were I spent most of my life from birth, it is my home- I feel nothing but Welsh

My son is born in Australia (to two welsh born and bred parents), he says he is Welsh and I have to keep reminding him you are also Australian - "no I'm Welsh, when are we going home mum?, I really want go home to Wales "( he's never stepped foot in the UK, but he keeps calling Wales his home - he's only 6 and already a proud welshman :D) .

" Isn't your nationality where you yourself were born"

No, the country of your birth is not necessary your nationality, or your only nationality- your birthplace is just that, it's just somewhere that you happened to be born, it is not a nationality.
 My son's nationality is also British , he wasn't born there . He was born here in Aus to parents that are both British and Australian citizens, so he holds these two nationalities from birth . Like my son, I am also two by birth rights, and hold both passports ( not including the Aus nationality as I applied for that).

My cousin was born in Singapore , it doesn't make her a  Singaporean- Her nationality is British only. Plenty of foreigners are born within Britain , it does not make them of British nationality, same as there are plenty of people are born here in Aus to non citizens,or Permanent resident holders , their offspring are not Australians.  They are legally considered only nationals of  the countries that their parents are citizens of.

Your parents status at the time of your birth is very important to what Nationality or nationalties you legally are.
Just because you are born in a said country , it does not  mean that you are of that countries nationality.

Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 00:55 BST (UK) »
My son was born in NZ to British parents, therefore has dual nationality, and is resident in Oz.

My second husband and his parents were all born in England.  He father and grandfather were Yorkshiremen, mother and mother's father were Liverpool-born - an interesting mix!

We now know (and have birth certs) that one grandmother was born in Dublin to Irish parents, and the other managed to be born in New South Wales ??? 8)

Sadly this doesn't give us the right to live in Oz, so we'll have to do it the hard way :(

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 01:24 BST (UK) »
"plenty of people are born here in Aus to non citizens,or Permanent resident holders, their offspring are not Australians"

Really?  Anyone born in the US automatically has American citizenship by birth no matter what the nationality or legal status of his parents.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 02:37 BST (UK) »
Here, you are Australian citizen by birth if one of your parents is either an Australian citizen  ( by birth rights , or naturalisation ) , or if one of your parents are a Permanent resident ( eg your parent holds a permanent residence visa,) - children born to temp visa holders are not Australian by birth, they are  the nationality of whatever the parents are.

"Anyone born in the US automatically has American citizenship by birth no matter what the nationality or legal status of his parents."

That surprises me. So if I'm pregnant and then I  fly over over there for a holiday , or went there  on business  and I  give birth in the US , even though I was on a temp visa , the child is automatically an American citizen? 
surely not? :o It would be an easy way for people to get their soon to be born children a US passport wouldn't it?

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 03:15 BST (UK) »
Amendment 14 to the U.S. Constitution:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.  ..."

People born with dual nationality must choose, at age 18, whether they wish to retain US citizenship and give up their other nationality.  Apparently that is not true in the UK, though.  My mother was English but I was never offered the option of British citizenship.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 03:57 BST (UK) »
Amendment 14 to the U.S. Constitution:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.  ..."

I'm shocked :o Don't you get foreigners from so called developing countries going there on purpose just to give birth, so that their child can be born a US citizen?

Ireland used to be a little bit like that.Irregardless of what the parents legal status , a child born there was considered an Irish citizen by birth ,  but the Irish have amended that law now as foreigners were misusing/abusing it.
Kind regards