Author Topic: Nationality query  (Read 10550 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nationality query
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
(Deirdre, you are totally Welsh in  Welsh peoples eyes  if you feel passion for your country, and have Welsh parents - being born in England to Welsh parents does not make you English for goodness sake ! ;D  lol - You are Welsh if that is what you feel ( you were born to Welsh parents!!), whilst you get some  people who are born in Wales with no Welsh heritage at all and have no passion for their birth place  at all -they are not considered Welsh by the real Welsh  
very kind regards  )

Thanks; beginning to wish I'd never asked the question now! Didn't realise it would cause such angst  :-[ 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Don't regret asking the question - it's resulted in a real debate and a lot of clarification.   :)
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
I think the point Cell was trying to make is that nowhere on an "English" or "Welsh" birth certificate does it specify the country. In fact, there were lots of registration districts that covered civil parishes in both England and Wales, so certificates from both countries might be mixed together in the same books (if the subdistrict also spanned both countries).

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 July 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Part of a job i used to have was helping people fill in forms (some official govermment ones). You would be amazed how many people here would say/write "Yorkshire" for Nationality/Country  . Abaht reight  :) 

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 July 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
I think that the Welsh would have something to say about that Sally.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 July 12 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Llandinam . Im not sure i understand what the Welsh might "have to say" about Yorkshire people regarding Yorkshire as a Country  ? It was just a general comment about "Nationality" .  However i do think Wales and Yorkshire have a lot in common (size , history , politics , industry , sheep !  :)   though Yorkshire does have  a higher population) . Something i have become aware of over the years  is that we (Northerners) can be blunt spoken to others  and i think  this can often be taken the wrong way and missunderstood as rudeness or not being polite by people from other areas  . My nan was Welsh by the way and spoke Welsh so if she had had something to say about it im not sure i would have understood that either :) Ah well .

Edit :  mind you having said that, my nans mother was actually born in Durham ! Her Welsh parents lived there for a short time , coal mining . And her dad worked the mines and was from Lancashire ! . Im all confused now  ! Hahahaha :)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 July 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
From the web site of the UK Border Agency

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. The only exception is if you were born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you are a British citizen if at the time of your birth one of your parents was:

a British citizen; or
    legally settled in the UK.

If you were born in a qualifying territory on or after 21 May 2002

If you were born in a qualifying territory, you are a British citizen if either your father or mother is a British citizen.

If neither parent is a British citizen, you will still be a British citizen if either your mother or your father was legally settled in either the United Kingdom or that particular territory at the time of your birth.

As to subdivisions within the general term it is my personal belief that you are what your heart tells you whether it's Scottish, Irish, Welsh or English

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 July 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham, not sure if it was a typing error but Riga is not nor ever been Estonian it is the Old and present Capital of Latvia...
Thanks for the correction, my typing error here.

On a more general point, naturalisation is interesting too. If a British national is naturalised in another country, they do not lose their British nationality but become dual nationals. However other countries have laws which say that if you naturalise in a second country, you lose your citizenship.

I also have memories of working with someone with triple nationality (UK, US, Irish) and three passports. She said the difficulty lay in remembering which passport/nationality she'd used to enter a country when it came to the exit border controls, so that entry and exit records matched up.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Murphester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 July 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
I was born in Australia but was also able to apply for a British passport because my father was born in the UK.  My mother was also born in the UK but they do not take her nationality in to account - only your paternal lines.  If my father was born in Australia, I could have still applied for a British passport because my paternal grandfather was born in the UK - still no regard given to my mother's nationality.  Bit sexist I reckon!   :P
Preserve your memories, keep them well,
For what you forget you can never retell.
- Louisa May Alcott

Whitehead (Cheshire)
Tilston (Cheshire)
Pullin/Pullen (Wales)
Went (Wales)