Author Topic: Nationality query  (Read 10442 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Nationality query
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 July 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
"My mother was also born in the UK but they do not take her nationality in to account - only your paternal lines."

Ah, I guess that's why the UK didn't offer me the option.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 July 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
To add to the mix...

My French friend was born here (in Wales actually) when her French mother gave birth unexpectedly early whilst she and the French father were here accompanying a school party. Mother and baby had to stay in Wales for a couple of weeks when dad took the party back to France. As a result my friend has dual British/French nationality. She grew up in France but met her husband while studying English here and has lived in England ever since.

Another (British/English) friend was married to a RAF pilot, their middle daughter was born overseas. (Malta I think). When the daughter was about 16 and needed to get her own passport, they had a devil of a job to get one, even though both parents were British. It was granted eventually.

Quite possibly the rules have changed now, but legal 'nationality' is obviously a complex thing.  ::)
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Different governments can change citizenship eligibility too so this can further complicate because what was/wasn't possible at one point can be changed. 
Today there was an article about some change to German citizenship that will make it possible for some applicants who were previously declined to now have the citizenship:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/germany-eases-citizenship-rules-for-descendants-of-nazi-victims

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 April 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
Isn't your nationality where you yourself were born - not where your parents etc were born?

My husband was born in Wales but both parents were born in England.  He has always used Welsh as his nationality

as far as I know different countries have different rules.  In UK it was being born here but after a certain date (some times in early 80s) where your mother's nationality comes into it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 April 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
Cliff Richard was born in India but nobody would deny he is English. Perhaps we need some sort of algorithm to give weight to different aspects of our heritage. My parents were both born in the same town but my grandparents came from every which where.

Zaph

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:04 BST (UK) »
Cliff Richard was born in India but nobody would deny he is English. Perhaps we need some sort of algorithm to give weight to different aspects of our heritage. My parents were both born in the same town but my grandparents came from every which where.

Zaph

And Boris Johnson was born in USA! Can we send him back? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:15 BST (UK) »

Zaph

Was chatting to a researcher on a FB genealogy group.  She said I was disgusting for calling myself Scottish because I had admitted to only 29 of my 32 3x grt grandparents were born in Scotland unlike her who had all 32 born in Scotland.  People get weird ideas, I don't know what other nationality I'd be.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 April 21 14:32 BST (UK) »

Zaph

Was chatting to a researcher on a FB genealogy group.  She said I was disgusting for calling myself Scottish because I had admitted to only 29 of my 32 3x grt grandparents were born in Scotland unlike her who had all 32 born in Scotland.  People get weird ideas, I don't know what other nationality I'd be.

She sounds like a lovely person.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 19 April 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
"She sounds like a lovely person."

She sounds like a fictitious person to me.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis