Author Topic: Nationality query  (Read 10444 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nationality query
« Reply #36 on: Monday 19 April 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
"She sounds like a lovely person."

She sounds like a fictitious person to me.

why do you feel the need to constantly belittle me and others? Different people have different life experiences and you don't have to have had the same experience for it to be real.  So you need to think before you decide to call someone a liar, there is no need to be nasty.  There is always the option of not commenting if you have nothing nice to say.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 19 April 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
nationality is. a. strange thing...I always think. of. myself as very British, although ive only got English...with a small dash of German....blood, in my veins as far as I know....because I think ive been very much. influenced by the other countries in the uk too.

my nephews. wife is. an. interesting case....father danish, mother German....lived in the USA. from ages 3 to 14....living in Germany....has a danish passport but doesn't speak a word of the language.

I think Leeds united pulled a. clever trick a few years ago ....they realised that a lot of Australians could, in theory, qualify to play for England....so they signed. a lot of. talented young lads and made. them sign to say that, if they were to ever play international football, it would be for England.

Leeds knew there was little chance they'd. all be. chosen for England, although they might have been chosen for Australia.

so with this. trick. they made.sure most of. them wouldn't be lost. to international. duty

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
nationality is. a. strange thing...I always think. of. myself as very British, although ive only got English...with a small dash of German....blood, in my veins as far as I know....because I think ive been very much. influenced by the other countries in the uk too.

my nephews. wife is. an. interesting case....father danish, mother German....lived in the USA. from ages 3 to 14....living in Germany....has a danish passport but doesn't speak a word of the language.

I think Leeds united pulled a. clever trick a few years ago ....they realised that a lot of Australians could, in theory, qualify to play for England....so they signed. a lot of. talented young lads and made. them sign to say that, if they were to ever play international football, it would be for England.

Leeds knew there was little chance they'd. all be. chosen for England, although they might have been chosen for Australia.

so with this. trick. they made.sure most of. them wouldn't be lost. to international. duty

That's because one of their grandparents was born in England.  I remember one football manager (Charlton) of a national team publicly asking any professinal club footballer in Britain who had Irish grandparents to contact him.  That team managed to be one of the teams who progressed to the last 16 in the World Cup.

A few years ago one of my grandsons had difficulty with his EU passport.  His parents are English but he was born in Germany when his father had a contract to work there.   As soon as a child reaches adulthood they are not covered by their parents' passport/nationality and the British passport officials insisted grandson had to refer any query about his passport to the German authorities.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
thats a strange one.

ive got a. friend. who's from Jordan...he had to submit his passport for inspection and they lost it, but they said not to worry because they'd contacted the Israeli embassy and they'd soon be sending him a new passport.

no, he said, he was Jordanian, not. Israeli....well, you're in the computer. as Israeli, so you must be....

it was eventually sorted out....after a very long time