Author Topic: Nationality query  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Nationality query
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
"Don't you get foreigners from so called developing countries going there on purpose just to give birth, so that their child can be born a US citizen?"

Possibly, but it is, after all, a nation of immigrants.  I always assumed most countries operated in the same way.  At any rate, the US is not the only one.  For example, my father was born an American [by virtue of having American parents] but he was born in a Portuguese colony.  That gave him dual citizenship at birth and, at age 18, he renounced any claim to Portuguese citizenship.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 04:50 BST (UK) »
I'm shocked :o Don't you get foreigners from so called developing countries going there on purpose just to give birth, so that their child can be born a US citizen?

Yes.

That is the law in most countries in the Americas - but pretty much only the Americas.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Alexander

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 05:08 BST (UK) »
NZ made changes to citizenship by birth as a general right quite recently ... http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/alreadyinnz/residents/becomingacitizen/
... prior to that, it was possible to be a citizen by birth for anyone outside the current restrictions.

It doesn't answer the actual nationality question.  NZ is still a young country in terms of citizenship and we have the option of ticking various boxes when it comes to nationality ... ie NZ European in my case and that of my husband, both born NZ to parents also born NZ  but of European descent.
Added ... generally speaking though, just New Zealander suffices.

:) mare

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Maybe this complicates things too much, but what would be the situation if a child was born in international waters? ;D 

I know one shouldn't fly whilst pregnant, but what if you were born in another country's airspace as a result of a very premature birth? ;D
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
I was confused about my father's nationality for some years, still am to some degree. He was born in Surokarta in Indonesia to two Dutch born parents and had a Dutch passport, so was presumably Dutch at that point. In his teens, because of trouble in Indonesia and unemployment in the Netherlands, his family were forced to move to South Africa.

After WWII began, his father apparently paid to naturalize most of the family as British, part of the Commonwealth. My father and his older brother fought in WWII. After the war, he went to university in England, married my mother and had 6 children. During that time South Africa left the Commonwealth. So did he become South African then? The South African definition of being a citizen was that if you remained in the country you were ok, but if you lived abroad you had to renew your citizenship at the embassy once a year, otherwise you lost it, thus becoming stateless. At some point, I don't know why, this happened to my father and he then became naturalized British.

I gather the Dutch refused to take in people wishing to leave South Africa and Zimbabwe no matter that all their family tree was Dutch. One of my uncles was quite bitter about this rejection, since he fought for them during the war. I do wonder what nationality my father thought he was, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
Presumably there is a difference between citizenship, nationality and ethnicity?

Ethnicity is something you can't change... citizenship is something that you can change...I wonder where nationality fits into all that

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Murphester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
I understand that the term nationality refers to which nation you belong - either by birth or naturalization.  The nation to which you feel ties to would be a result of the culture you are raised in.  I usually refer to this as my heritage.

I was born in Australia to Welsh/English parents.  My nationality is most definitely Australian ... with British heritage.
Preserve your memories, keep them well,
For what you forget you can never retell.
- Louisa May Alcott

Whitehead (Cheshire)
Tilston (Cheshire)
Pullin/Pullen (Wales)
Went (Wales)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
...it gets more complex when national boundaries move around! The borders of England and Scotland haven't changed (indeed are unchanged since before the Act of Union), but aiming this question at people from parts of Europe would result in some mixed answers. I'm interested in Otto von Oettingen whose father Burchard was born in Riga in modern Estonia and went to school in modern Cesis, Latvia. They would probably have stated their nationality as Prussian or German, as these areas were then within the Prussian borders.
I'm also interested in family who settled in Texas before independence and remained on the same farm, thus living under three successive national flags, Mexico, Texas and US. No passports in those days!
The increased mobility of people these days will present some interesting challenges to RootsChat members in 200 years' time, I can confidently predict. Substantial numbers of people change their citizenship; many get married in countries well away from their "home parish"....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham, not sure if it was a typing error but Riga is not nor ever been Estonian it is the Old and present Capital of Latvia, part of the city has an area called Vec Riga and that means old Riga, there are many old buildings dating back many centuries. Latvia certainly had a checkered past with German, and Swedish and the most recent Russian rulers.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert