Author Topic: Mclauchlan family in Canada  (Read 4177 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mclauchlan family in Canada
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all
My relatives emigrated to Montreal in the 1920s from Scotland and i am really struggling to find any info after 1934 for any of them, espesially death certificates. I have their movements from scotland to canada from between 1923 when they first left scotland up until 1934 which is the last time i can tell they travelled and then they completely just disappear. I have tried searches on ancestry and familysearch and have managed to find one death in BC in 1984 can anyone give me any ideas of where to look next for info on them, will gladly give names if needed.
Thankyou in advance
Dawn

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Mclauchlan family in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
HI Dawn,

There are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.  The last available Canadian Census was 1911 apart from Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta which was 1916.  As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 80 years ago and deaths 70 years ago. So you can see from that how tight the privacy laws make it in trying to get information.

Trying to trace modern day families in Canada can depend on newspaper announcements, cemetery records, obituaries, telephone directories and public libraries.

If you would like to give the names, there are plenty of volunteers on here who will endeavour to help.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
You said that you were able to find one death in BC in 1984. Can you give us the name and place of death. BC is one of the easier places to research family history and there are several resources available to search.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Perhaps your McLauchlan is related to someone on this thread ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,295903.0.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 18:34 BST (UK) »
One thing that also complicates researching English-speaking immigrants to Quebec is that starting in the 1970s there was an exodus of English speakers to other provinces.

Sometimes, older parents stayed behind while children left in search of opportunities they felt they didn't have there. So Highway 401 between Montreal and Toronto on the days around Christmas is somewhere you do not want to be. ;)

To search for obituaries, I recommend using www.google.ca
Search for your terms, and when you get the results, select "Pages from Canada" on the left side.

For example, search for
obituary "mclauchlan" quebec

If the thread linked by Sandra is about the same people, google also found a thread about John at Anc'y some time ago:

http://boards.ancestry.ca/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=1669&p=localities.northam.canada.quebec.montreal.general

(I hope that link doesn't break any rules.)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for all your replys.
The relative i found in BC was the death registration for a John Heatlie Mclauchlan who died in 1984 in Duncan BC, death date 20 Jan 1984, parents Jessie Thorburn Heatlie and father John Mclauchlan. John Heatlie Mclauchlan and his wife Elizabeth and son John Taylor Mclauchlan emigrated from scotland in 1925 to montreal canada. I have found them in the Lovells montreal street directory from 1926 to 1935 living at 4719 Parthenais Street but then they disappear, i have also found them on the Lovells montreal alphbetical directory from 1926 to 1933 but after that there is no sign of them anywhere. The link that was posted on here was mine from a while back and it is for the same people i have just exhasted all the leads i have from on there and thought i would try again as i still havent had much look. Just for abit of extra info Jessie Thorburn Heatlie was born 1876 in Selkirk Sct as was her husband John McLauchlan.
Thanks for all your help much appreciated.
Dawn

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 July 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Was son John Taylor McLauchlan about 1 year old when they immigrated?

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/lastpost/details.asp?alpha=M&offset=12150&LastPostData_ID=198147

(the only result on a google for "John T McLauchlan")

Chief Warrant Officer (navy) John T McLauchlan died in 2005 at age 81 in Bell's Corners, ON.

There is one McLauchlan younger than that also listed in the Last Post.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/lastpost/

The death of John T was recent enough that someone in the local Legion might know of the family. Canada411 shows two McLauchlan listings in Nepean (and no others in Ottawa).

Google "j t mclauchlan" and you will find an outdated address listing in Nepean.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 July 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
I searched the Ottawa Citizen obituary site.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ottawacitizen/obituary.aspx?n=john-mclauchlan&pid=3266050&fhid=5748

McLAUCHLAN, John Taylor "Scottie" Veteran WWII RCN 1941-1966 ...
At home, on Monday, March 7, 2005, at the age of 81.

Names wife, children (with names of spouses) and grandchildren, and two brothers: one living, one deceased.

Also the obituary of his wife:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ottawacitizen/obituary.aspx?n=barbara-mclauchlan&pid=117819463&fhid=5748

It shows a guest book comment by two people who refer to Barbara as "aunt" (no indication of whether they are her family or McLauchlan, of course).

I have a passing acquaintance with the head of that funeral home business, and she is an extremely nice person, in my experience. If all else failed, I'm sure she would try to accommodate a request for a message to be passed to the family in their records.

There is a telephone listing in a town near Nepean that could match one of the children's spouses.

Oh, bonus.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ottawacitizen/obituary.aspx?n=eleanor-mclauchlan&pid=157405283

McLAUCHLAN, Eleanor Lily (Guthrie) Peacefully at ... BC ... 2003 in her 99th year.
Formerly of Almonte, ON. Beloved wife of the late John Heatlie McLauchlan.
Survived by sons John ... and (living son, location) ...

Canada411 has a listing for the living son under his full name.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 12 16:53 BST (UK) »
I would think that the William McLauchlan who died in Crofton BC in 1990 at age 64 = dob c1926 (BC vital records search) might be the deceased younger brother of John T.

Eleanor, wife of John H, died in Duncan BC -- Duncan and Crofton are about 10 miles apart on Vancouver Island just north of Victoria.

But at this point, with contact info for John T's living brother available, I guess we can stop searching. ;) (edit: Yikes, I just saw that I inadvertently typed his name there, and I have deleted it.)

It seems that John H remarried to Eleanor at some point.

Google found Eleanor Lily Guthrie aged 17 arriving in NYC in 1921:

http://www.ellisisland.org/shipping/FormatTripPass.asp?sship=Oropesa&BN=P00008-5&lineshipid=661&shipid=

She shows at what seems to be a commercial site as marrying John H in 1931.