Author Topic: Pension &  (Read 1440 times)

Offline butterflyclough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pension &
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information with regards to three great-great uncles and their details in or after World War 1.  We only learned about them with the release of the Census Records and surviving relatives have only said that when they returned home they were apparently shunned and soon left. 

They are Patrick (b1882), Richard (b1888) and Martin (b1891) Pender.  They are listed in both the 1901 and 1911 census' as living in Tullamore.   All joined the army but we are unsure where.  All three survived Flanders, though one lost a leg and another was put into a hospital - though it is unclear who exactly.

My family would love to know what happened to them - particularly with regards to the military.  Is there a medical or pension record list for survivors?  Was there a military hospital in Ireland at the time that soldiers went to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even a point in the right direction would be appreciated.  Thank you

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pension &
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
Suspect Patrick could have been a Royal Engineer discharged with Sickness enlisted 28/7/17 and disch 31/12/17 aged about 35.
He is on the Silver War Badge Lists.

Theres a 4341 Martin Pender Leinster Regiment who deserted in Jan 1918 but records with next of kin dont survive there are others of that name to different Regiments on the medal index cards so its going to be difficult to pin down as only 30% of records survive

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline butterflyclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you very much Ady, any help is greatly appreciated.  It seems so hard to narrow it down without details or awareness of where they even joined.  Will see if these details jog anyone's memory.
Thanks again. 

Offline EDDIER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
Can you say which lost his leg as he should be on  SWB Roll
Eddie
Blomfield,Broder,Dargue,English,Hindmarch(sh),Mallam
Narey,Poole,Pull,Purdy,Rutherford

Offline butterflyclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
Eddie - I have found no one alive who can verify any details as yet but there is a family wedding soon, so will try then.  Thanks again...

Offline PenderMartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Martin Pender: WW1 Pension
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Butterflyclough,

I'm new to this forum and I believe I know this Martin Pender you make reference to.  If I have the right man, he was my grandfather's cousin. Contact me if you want to know more.

Pender of Rossmore, Laois and Pendergast of Coolnakisha, Carlow.

Offline butterflyclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Dear PenderMartin,

Thanks for the offer, any information would be gratefully received.  I hit a wall with the family and I kind of shelved the hunt. I couldn't even remember the password for here!
By all means if you can pass on contact information, please do.
Thanks in advance!

Butterflyclough,

I'm new to this forum and I believe I know this Martin Pender you make reference to.  If I have the right man, he was my grandfather's cousin. Contact me if you want to know more.

Offline PenderMartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather's cousin was Martin John Pender, of Rossmore County Laios.  He was born in 1899 to Patrick Pender and Mary Farrell Pender.  He served the British Army in the Great War and served briefly in France before being injured.  In time he moved to Manchester England. While he was in England he was married to Kathleen Tobin.  He died in Dublin in 1964.  Does any of this sound familiar to you?
Pender of Rossmore, Laois and Pendergast of Coolnakisha, Carlow.

Offline butterflyclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not, my Martin Pender was born about 1891 in Offaly to Michael and Teresa Pender. They lived in Tullamore.  I am sorry they are not a match but thank you for getting back to me so quick!