Author Topic: A will written on vellum  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
A will written on vellum
« on: Friday 27 July 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
I'm lucky to have my ggg grandfather's will and probate dated 1883/4.
It's written on vellum, is currently in very good condition, and stored carefully, and though it is tightly folded and won't flatten, it's easy to read.
I want to share it with the other family members overseas, and make a copy in case anything ever happens to it.
I've tried photographing, but it won't flatten and I don't want to try too hard.
I've wondered about photocopying, or scanning, but don't want to do anything to damage it as it is so precious, and it is too big to fit on the bed of a regular copier.

Any suggestions?
I am in Auckland, New Zealand.

Cheers,
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: A will written on vellum
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline :)

Vellum/parchment can be flattened, but it needs to be humidified in order to do it, and that is a very fine balancing act between not damp enough to get it flat, and too damp - if it gets too damp, it reverts to its original "skin" state and goes clear and hard and will shrink.  A paper conservator would be the right person to get to do the job.

Meantime, I have a large parchment indenture of my own, and I have had success in copying it two ways:  I have photographed it with a DSLR camera on high resolution setting, and I have also scanned it in bits, then spliced the scans together in Photoshop to make up each page.  To hold it flat enough to photograph it, just place small weights on each corner/edge, as much as needed to hold it flat.

Neither photographing it nor scanning it will cause any harm to the document.  Once you have a good digital copy of it, keep it folded up and don't open it up too often as this will cause stresses on the fold lines.  Having said that, parchment is a very resilient material and will withstand a lot of use before it starts to deteriorate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Prue,
I think I'll try scanning it - my scanner lid comes off so I should be able to get it to sit flat enough.
I was concerned about using a scanner on it, so pleased to know it's safe.
 ;D

Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 July 12 01:08 BST (UK) »
Caroline
If you can get hold of a Flip Pal scanner, it has its own software to stitch the parts together and is ideal for scanning big items as you can put the scanner on to the item instead of the other way round.
Just remember to overlap each scan a little, so it can match things up.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 12 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn.
I've often thought about getting a portable scanner, I've read the reviews, and this sounds brilliant!

Caroline.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 12 07:15 BST (UK) »
Well, I've got one but I haven't used it yet.

The one I mentioned is better than the 'wand' type mobile scanners, everyone says, because with the wand type you are having to hold it very steady and sometimes the result is a bit distorted because you haven't held it steady enough.   With the Flip Pal you can put it right down on top of whatever you are scanning so you don't have that problem.  And also it scans through glass, as in a framed picture for instance, as its lid comes off easily for that type of use.

Bit exy, but if you do a lot of scanning probably worth it.  Works on AA batteries (2 or 4, don't remember) and you can use ordinary ones or rechargeable ones.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
I am currently transcribing a 1659 vellum document (not easy) approx 24 in by 20 in which  was obviously originally folded. About a couple of years ago I rolled it up and put it in a cardboard tube so now it  tends to lie flat althogh I have bulldog clipped it to a flat board for the purpose.
KimH