Author Topic: Local Detective Constable seeks your help in historic enquiry...  (Read 25171 times)

Offline 1977 Granty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Local Detective Constable seeks your help in historic enquiry...
« on: Tuesday 24 May 05 17:15 BST (UK) »
Please help. I am a serving Detective Constable in West Mercia Constabulary and I have a difficult and sensitive case that I am working on and I need to obtain some historic information. I have been given the authority to be creative in the use of the internet and I am appealing to anyone out there to assist me.

I am trying to establish whether a young girl was killed in an old woodyard in Bromsgrove approximately 50years ago. The girl would have been around 5 to 10 years old and her name may have been AMY. This girl may have been killed in an accident where she was driven over by a lorry. A surname of KENDALL (not sure of the spelling of the surname so any possible ) has been mentioned.

The woodyard was known as Hancox's woodyard and the HANCOX family lived there. This address has been confirmed as 107 Broad Street, Bromsgrove.

I have obviously searched through the sources available to me as a police officer. The coroner cannot find any trace of it. They searched their records from 1956 Jan to 1961 Dec but to no avail.

I have a live line of enquiry going at the moment with the registrar of births & deaths.

I am not entirely convinced that it actually occurred but I have asked the registrar to search from 1950 onwards.

I respectfully request any help and assistance from any of you who may be able to assit with publicly available information. I am by no means an expert in historical research and I would value any contribution you may offer.

Admin Note: This message is confirmed as originating from the West Mercia Constabulary network

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local Detective Constable seeks your help in historic enquiry...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 21:26 BST (UK) »

Have you considered newspaper reports of the time, or has that already drawn a blank too?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Alice.P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
1837.com has all the GRO death indexes, they are pay per view & work out at about 10p per view per index page & you can print them off.  You will need to registar to search or browse. They are listed alphabetically & 50's & 60's records, will have age as well as district of the deceased on the index.
Cornwall (Madron, Mousehole & Paul, Districts) - BECKERLEG, HARRY, MATHEWS, MATTHEWS, SAMPSON, SAMSON, RICHARDS, WRIGHT. 
Hampshire - BUDD, GARNETT (Chawton, nr Alton) , OTHEN, PINK(E),  SPENCER, TIDMAN, TODMAN,
IRELAND, CASHIN (Cork, district) O'SHEA, DEVANNEY
Kent - COLE, GAWLER, MILLS, ROOK
Middlesex - BRANCH, MUMFORD
Norfolk - LAKE, WOODMAN. (Colkirk, district, both names)
Wiltshire, READ (Villages of West Tytherley & West Dean)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
It seems a bit of an odd way to work, but you could try this message board for a local audience

http://www.bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/messages/default.asp?offset=10
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
This original message is confirmed as originating from the West Mercia Constabulary network, so as far as we can see, this is a very genuine request.

I would imagine the detective has exhausted conventional local enquiries, so any help would I'm sure be appreciated, which will help in this sensitive case.

Trystan
RootsChat Admin
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking that out Trystan

you can't be too careful  ;D

The best guess I've got is:

Carol A Kendall died aged 4.

Maybe the A is for Amy?? Couldn't see an Amy!

tabitha

Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 23:06 BST (UK) »
Tabitha,

You're quite right, I'm sure this officer would very much welcome your help.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 23:47 BST (UK) »
What about local hospital records......I think they (did) keep them for 50 years after death.

Also local Parish Records.

What about circulating your message to your local Neighbourhood Watch Office for distribution to the co-ordinators.We get daily bulletins here in Kent and you may strike lucky with someone who has a good memory of whether this happened or not.

Did the local paper cover the case at the time?Their archives may help.

The local Education Department  may have a record of her, also the local Health Department who can check whether she had an NHS number and was registered with a doctor or welfare clinic at the time..........my NHS number coincides with the number on my birth certificate.

Sue
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Paul E

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 May 05 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

If Tabitha has found the right Amy, then the Coroner might need to have another look at the records, this time for Carol.

cheers

Paul