Author Topic: George Crow, Montrose  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Cobus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Crow, Montrose
« on: Friday 27 July 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
Genealogy can be so frustrating! I cannot find birth records for George Crow, his spouse Catherine Christie, and their family from Montrose.

Documents I have managed to get from SP are George and his spouse Cathrine (sic) mentioned in the 1841 census as living in Apple Wynd, Montrose. He is aged 30 (so born approximately 1811), a labourer, and Cathrine Christie (25, born approximately 1816). Their offspring are Hope (14) (they must have had her young!), Jessie (12), George (9), David (8), William (5), and Cathrine (2). All children are said to have been born in Forfarshire, but the parents were not. The only other times George and Catherine are mentioned are on the records of their David’s marriage to Elizabeth Ogilvie on 5/2/1859 in Ferryden, in the parish of Craig, by Montrose, George being documented as a sailor, and when their son William married Mary Ann McDonald on 4/8/1859, also at Ferryden. This time George is classified as a seaman MS (merchant service). Then George and Catherine disappear!

From IGI, David (that’s the line I am interested in) and Elizabeth’s children are David Ogilvie Crow (born 19/7/1859), Thomas Orlando Crow (19/10/1860), James Stephen Crow (2/11/1862), Robert Kelman Crow (10/5/1866), George Crow (3/5/1868), and Jessie Stephen Crow (15/5/1869). All were born in Ferryden except Jessie, born at 4 India Street, Montrose. The family (now Crowe with an ‘e’) are listed in the 1861 census at living at 19 Ferryden, then in 1871 (back to the Crow spelling) at 103 Castle Street, Montrose, but in 1881 David has either died or disappeared, for the family (Crowe) are now at 21 South Grimsby, Arbroath.

I have tried searching many permutations of names, etc., but with no joy. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Crow, Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
This is the 1851 entry for Dundee - I only have access to the transcription so you would need to view the image on SP.  Children b Montrose except Georgena

George Crow 47 ship stoker b Lanbeck Hanston ?? 
Catherine   46 b Aberthnett (?Abernethy)
Hope 24
Jess   22
William   15
Catherine   11
Georgena Mar 4 Months (? Mary or Margaret) g/dtr b Dundee
Dundee ED 75 Page 7 Line 20

Depending on what George's birthplace translates to from the image - the IGI has 3 English births between 1803-1805
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Cobus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, CaroleW. This seems to be my Crowe family. There seem to be discrepancies in their ages on the 1841 census, as their ages on the 1851 version seem more in keeping with Hope's age.

The 1851 census information on Catherine's birthplace looks like a mis-spelling of Arbuthnott, near Inverbervie, Kincardineshire, but I can't find a birth record. There is a Catherine Christie born 8/6/1807 in Abernethy, Perthshire, but I'll keep searching.

George's birthplace of Hanston Lanbeck (?) defeats me at the moment - but I'll persevere.

Georgena's surname could be Mar, and she's listed as a granddaughter.

Thanks again.
Cobus

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 12 17:23 BST (UK) »
The ages shown on the 1841 census are rounded down to the nearest 5yrs from age 16yrs onwards. 

Some enumerators ignored the instruction and showed normal ages but you will note an awful lot of people had a 0 or 5 on the end of their age

In families with children born within a year or 2 of each other - it can look as though they had several sets of twins or triplets

Re: George's birthplace - you could scan and post that part of the image on the Deciphering and Recognition board in case anybody can interprete it
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vivcro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think I might have information on your David Crow who married Elizabeth Ogilvie but it is confusing me now too so hopefully I can make sense of it. David Crow was either Spanish or Portuguese according to a letter that I have. He was originally called Orlando Cruz but changed his name to David Crow by deed poll when he moved here. He was a cork cutter and cork merchant, importing cork from Oporto and working particularly with the linoleum manufacturers in Kirkcaldy. I think he eventually had a cork business with his brother, called the Crow(e) Brothers. He married Elizabeth Ogilvie, lived in Ferryden then had 11 children before he left to go abroad again but died on the way. The part that has confused me for a long time is his marriage cert that lists his parents as George Crow and Catherine Christie as I know that they seem to exist in Montrose, but his parents should be from overseas? Unless he has anglicised their names on the cert. I wonder if that explains the Lanbeck Hanston reference if it is a place abroad? I can send you a copy of the letter I have if you would like? Hope that helps. Vivien

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 September 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivien

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

David's mother, Catherine Christie lived up to 1880. She died in Dundee, showing as widow to George. Daughter Hope reported the death.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 08:24 BST (UK) »
but in 1881 David has either died or disappeared, for the family (Crowe) are now at 21 South Grimsby, Arbroath.

In 1881 there is a David Crow , age 44(unmarried) , born Montrose , cork cutter , border living 105 King St. Glasgow(Elizabeth is noted as married in 1881).
Not sure about the Spanish or Portuguese connection  :-\

ev

Added-
David and Elizabeth ?
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213373212/david-crowe
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev

The death mentioned in that link, that David Crow was only 27 yrs old according to SP. Maybe a grandson?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 08:38 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to see the actual gravestone(if it exists) , the information provided seems to come from Deceased Online and family research.
Has someone assumed David is Elizabeth's husband ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records