Author Topic: James Walsh  (Read 7685 times)

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Walsh
« on: Friday 27 July 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find some information about my wife's Grandfather James Walsh who was born on 24/08/1907 in Dublin. All I have to go on are his Attestation papers which were dated 17/02/1941 and in them it states his address as 1 Wood Street, Dublin - his trade as Upholsterer trimmer and his parents (although not named) as Irish.
At the top of the Attestation  certificate it states Eire Recruit, so I would assume he had to go to Belfast to enlist and I believe he was a Territorial at the time but in which regiment I'm not sure.
Where would I find details of his birthplace and names of his parents?
All information gratefully received.
Brian Carter.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Walsh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have any details on who your James married ?

A marriage cert would show his father's name and could help locate the correct family on the 1911 census.

There's a few James Walsh births in Dublin city and County during the 3rd quarter of 1907 - and it's also possible that he could have been registered a little late in the Oct-Dec quarter.

The registration districts that cover Dublin City and County are Dublin, North, Dublin South, Rathdown and Balrothery. (Parts of Rathdown are in Co. Wicklow). 1 Wood Street would presumably be his residence at the time he signed on - so might not be where his original family home.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
If James' birth was registered promptly, and the date of birth he gave was accurate, then he's probably one of these two ..

Name: James Walsh
  Registration district:   Dublin South
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1907
  Volume: 2 / Page: 610

Name: James Joseph Walsh
  Registration district:    Dublin South
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1907
  Volume : 2 / Page:   666

There doesn't seem to be any matches during the correct quarter in any of the other Dublin city or county districts.

A birth cert would give the date, place of birth and details of his parents - but it would probably be a good idea to search for the marriage cert to confirm the details of his father.

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

This is most likely a total long shot but, sometimes occupations are passed on.

On the 1911 census there is a Walter Walsh who was an upholsterer and he had a son called James aged 4

walsh 1911

HA Don't suppose James had a son called Walter which could it it all together nicely !!

As Shane said you will need tha marriage cert though to get his father's name.

Tara

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
From what I can gather he married a Mae Buckley somewhere around 1930 as my father-in-law was born in 1934 and is the oldest child of three.
I assume he is the second one as my father-in-law's middle name is Joseph and I think it has J as his middle name on his army papers.

Brian Carter
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is a long shot at all. My father-in-law is called Walter Joseph Walsh and in the 1911 census he would have been 4.
Is there anyway I could find his parents marriage details or do I have to order a marriage certificate?

Brian Carter.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:33 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is a long shot at all. My father-in-law is called Walter Joseph Walsh and in the 1911 census he would have been 4.
Is there anyway I could find his parents marriage details or do I have to order a marriage certificate?

If you believe that Walter and Margaret are the correct family, you could try searching for a match for their marriage references on the BMD Index, but it would be easier to find a definite match once you know the maiden name of James mother.

Note Margaret is from Co. Kilkenny - so the marriage may not have been in Dublin

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
Walter and Margaret married 12 years according to the census return, so c1899, so if it took place in Dublin then these could be the references :

Name: Walter Walsh
  Registration district:   Dublin South
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1898
  Volume:   2 / Page :   669

There's a Margaret Conlan with the same references - so a possible bride to Walter.

see : Details included on a Marriage Cert

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
baptism in 1901 on IrishGenealogy parish records for a Walter James Walsh with parents Walter Walsh and Margaret Conlon - so confirms the two names I mentioned are a couple..

see : Walsh/Conlon baptism 1901

I dont see the marriage in Parish records...

S.
My Surname Interests