Author Topic: Genes Reunited Adverts  (Read 4547 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Genes Reunited Adverts
« on: Saturday 28 July 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
I have just logged onto my GR site to check a "new contact".  :)

There was a "voice over" advert for a type of painkiller - I will not stoop to say what it is. :P I couldn't get rid of it without closing the programme.

If this is the way they are going then I am definitely dropping out when my sub expires.

Whatever next? Oh, and they have removed the "Old Tree" possibility too, which I preferred.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited Adverts
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Perhaps its the way your computer is set up and its allowing pop ups. (I have just been on there and it didn't happen to me)

Try posting on the technical board and someone may avise how to check if your computer is allowing pop ups and how to stop it, or what else it may be
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
I did n't get a voice over one. Alot of the sites are putting pop adverts on and are difficult to get rid of particularly the flashing ones.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 12 08:03 BST (UK) »
Everytime I log into Genes, it seems to have changed.  I can't see my old tree either, which I preferred.   There seems to be a 'open panel' sign today that I have never seen before.  No voice over though.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies one and all. The Nurofen ad seems to have gone now. You have to enable popups though, don't you, to see some of the content. It had never happened before which is strange.

I'll try again.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
The "new, improved" family tree feature on GR is a disaster.

GR keep sending me possible matches which in some cases are not even names on my tree.

The "Hot Matches" sometimes don't match at all and are difficult to work through. 

Can't see any improvement in the new version of the site and am thinking seriously about not renewing my subscription.

I can see that free sites such as RootsChat need to get cash from somewhere to support the site, but don't see why fee-paying sites like GR need to bombard us with ads.

Gillg  >:(
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 12 12:30 BST (UK) »
I did decide to renew mine this year as i have a fellow volunteer researcher who has links with me and thats the only site he's on but i think i will not renew next year, i will make sure its on my ancestry one.  Probably is i like the horizontal views of trees. I am fed up of all the hot matches, most are n't relevant . I did see a old tree sign.  I can always send a ged com to my fellow researcher, he uses the free legacy edition. I will give get my tree up to date on there so he can down load anything or give him a copy on disc. I used to get loads of contacts at one time from there.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 July 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that GR is currently owned by ITV, so they believe that if we are not watching ads all the time they are failing to do their job.

I have noticed a couple of other sites recently are running ads with sound attached. There may be others, but I commonly run my laptop with the sound turned off.

I am willing to put up with a reasonable amount of advertising on sites. I'll even put up with a bit of animation, but GR seems to push videos, which eat up my monthly allocation of bytes, and recently sound has started to appear. What appears on your screen generally only annoys you. What is pushed through your speakers annoys everyone around, and you get the blame. The better sites have "click to see more" or even "click for sound". Just shoving stuff out of your speakers is worse than typing in ALL CAPS. It is literally SHOUTING.

GR has deteriorated in other ways too. Has anyone else noted that the area into which you can type a message has been reduced so that it is less than that of an ordinary "banner" ad? I tried sending them a message about it, but the screen for contacting those running the site had over 75% by area given over to ads, not counting the website name.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 12 09:47 BST (UK) »

Don't forget that GR is currently owned by ITV ...

ITV sold Genes Reunited to brightsolid in August 2009 ... it didn't improve anything.
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon