Author Topic: John SPRIGGS?  (Read 9042 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John SPRIGGS?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 August 12 06:07 BST (UK) »
NSW State Records have John SPRIGGS tried Bristol Quarter sessions.
Departed on the ship Lord Lyndoch 2 April 1838.

Rhonda

Thanks, I have seen that :) I can't be sure whether it is him or not, but since I can't find another arrival for him I am beginning to think it's very likely to be him. The thing is that there are two John Spriggs, who arrived as convicts both born around the same time, around the same place. Very confusing  ???

Offline NJSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 December 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I came across these entries as I was trying to find out anything about my great grandfather Arthur Spriggs who was born around 1876 at Oladdie Station. He never knew his parents as he was abandoned and there is no record of his birth... Do you think there might be some connection? It wasn't a big place and it's not a common name....
Thank you

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 December 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I came across these entries as I was trying to find out anything about my great grandfather Arthur Spriggs who was born around 1876 at Oladdie Station. He never knew his parents as he was abandoned and there is no record of his birth... Do you think there might be some connection? It wasn't a big place and it's not a common name....
Thank you

There is a possibility that Arthur's father was John Spriggs. John's wife Elizabeth died 1875, Oladdie, so she wont be his mother. Their youngest child was also born in 1875 Oladdie. John Sprigg's died in 1897 so it's possible Arthur was an illegitimate son. Their oldest children were born in the 1850's & 1860's so there could also be some connection there too. Without having a birth record it would be hard to tell where the connection was. What happened to him after he was abandoned, do you know why he was abandoned? Do you have any family stories or anything like that?

Offline TPIBOB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 February 19 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rebbecca
I have this John Spriggs in my family tree.
England Census 1841
Bidwell East Peckham Kent Thomas 40 Basket m, Jane 40, John 13, Elizabeth 13, Alfred 8 and Elizabeth Maitland 75. (Is this Janes mother?)
England Census 1851
Bidwell East Peckham Kent Thomas 55 Basket Maker Blind, Jane 54 Blind.
Elizabeth christened 2 May 1830 East Peckham Kent England Father Thomas Bedwell Mother Jane Source Batch c165411 18103-1844 1469437IT5 Film none
Same source lists Edward christened 27 May 1821, Mary Ann christened 27 Oct 1822, Thomas christened 5 Sep 1824, Jane christened 25 Jun 1826, Betsey (not Elizabeth) christened 2 May 1830 and Alfred christened 26 May 1833
John Spriggs, batchalor, born Bristol, England Carrier age 35 present address Olrig (parents William Spriggs, Seaman and Sarah Chilcott) married Elizabeth Bidwell, Spinster, born East Peckham, Kent, age 24 present address Olrig (Parents Thomas Bidwell, Basket maker and Jane Henley both blind) on 6 March 1886 at Olrig, Sydney Rd in the house of Mr Wilkie. THey declared that they were members of the Church of England. Married according to the forms of the free Presbyterian Church. John signed with his mark and Elizabeth signed her name. Witness P John Wilkie and J.M. MacLaurin, Minister Adam Cairns. Olrig, Kinlochewe near Donnybrook on the Sydney Road.This detail is from an unregistered copy of the marriage register. The information about Elizabeth's parents is from the 1841/51 England Census above.
Married 1855 Victoria
Children start Vic 1855 moving thru to SA ending in SA 1875
Haven,t found how he got to Aus yet

Bob

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 February 19 07:25 GMT (UK) »
It appears a John SPRIGGS had a market stall in Adelaide in June 1855 before he went to the 'diggings' in VIC.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/207025516

Rhonda

Offline TPIBOB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Rhonda
Thank you. A very interesting article. I think that there are two men here, the one I list was married in Victoria in 1855  as was the birth of their first child born in 1855 in Victoria

There were other Spriggs families in SA in this period

Bob