Author Topic: TURNER, John (Browning)  (Read 19025 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TURNER, John (Browning)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 July 12 06:02 BST (UK) »
I have now found your John Turner on a passenger list to Oz with Jane Atkins, a 17 year old bonnet maker, on the same ship. 
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1838Eden.htm

They were on The Eden out of Portsmouth arriving SA 24th June 1838.  Consecutive passenger numbers suggest John, a brick-maker, was with 2 of his brothers, Henry James Browning aged 21 (born c1817) & William aged 17 (born c1821).  John's age on that passenger list is 20, giving him a birth year of c1818.  The only member of the family with the middle name Browning listed against his name however, was John's elder brother Henry who was a Farmer.   

John and William were married in a double wedding (Adelaide 20th Aug 1838) both having elder brother Henry as their witness. 
William's new wife was 21 year old Amelia Goble who was also on The Eden in 1838 with her younger brother Charles.

It may help narrow the search down for parents if all 3 brothers can be found being baptised in the same West Sussex Parish.  Alternatively, assuming both Henry and William outlived their brother John, you may find one of them has put the names of their mutual parents on other Australian documents.  Look up Henry James Browning Turner who died 14 Feb 1893 in Mallala, South Australia for example.  An unexpected bonus is that Henry and his family are well recorded and there is a photo of his gravestone on the Internet.
http://www.australiancemeteries.com/sa/mallala/mallala_hsimages/turner_henry_elizabeth.jpg

Roy G

Thanks Roy, that is really impressive. I think that I will try to figure out where the Browning farm is, since that name seems to keep cropping up. Once, I track down that I might be able to figure out where they came from. I will also look up records for the siblings, like you suggested :)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 July 12 06:23 BST (UK) »
I have found a family of Brownings, living on a farm in Fletching, Sussex. Anne and James Browning own the farm. There are also alot of Turner's living in Fletching in the same census - so perhaps they came from Fletching ? :)

Edited to add there is a William Turner born 1774, living in Fletching 1841, occupation Agricultural Labourer, he is living with a John Brown, so perhaps there is some connection there. There is also an Abraham Turner with the same occupation in 1841 census living in Fletching. Apparently, my Turners worked on a Browning farm and started to add it into their own names.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 July 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
Although it is possible that they came from Fletching, migration from there to the area around Chichester is unusual.  I would still opt for the name Browning, and the later name Kendrick, coming from an ancestor on the Maternal side, but unfortunately my copy of the Sussex Marriage Index is not compatible with the computer set up I have here.  Perhaps whilst you are checking out farms, another helpful Rootschatter could check out Turner & Browning and Turner & Kendrick marriages on the SMI for you.   

I have also dug out the following Rootsweb entry from 1998 which suggests you may need to pop over the border from Chichester into Hampshire for an answer to family connection with Kendrick, for that does seem possible that it has its origins in either John Turner or Jane Atkins' line.

Hello,   We are currently researching Turner's from Havant and Chichester c1780-1840. Also Kendrick's of both places for the same period. Any info appreciated. In addition we are researching Gandy's of Hampshire and finally, Atkins of North Mundham, both c1800-1840. We would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has any of these names in their database.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SUSSEX-PLUS/1998-08/0904581255

Roy G

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 July 12 08:16 BST (UK) »
I have checked the SMI.  Nothing obvious.  Very few Kendrick entries so not a common name in Sussex.
Andrea

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 July 12 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea and Roy :)

I will check out the rootsweb link and thanks for the SMI lookup.

Offline Heatherleao

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 July 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca, John Browning Turner is my great great Grandfather. I am descended from Kendrick Browning Turner. I have found the the birth of John Browning and brothers & sister after many years of searching. It was never Fishbourne! This is probably where he lived later and even worked. Check out the baptism registers for the Nether Wallops, Hampshire. ( I have been there, it is a beautiful place.) It is good if you look at the source yourself and the Hampshire records are online. There are Brownings in the Parish records but I have found no connection. I understand that a farm named Browning is a strong possibility as I know someone else who was following this lead. Parents of the Browning Turner children are Edward and Elizabeth nee Wilkins. Edward was a farmer!
Elizabeth WILKINS m Edward TURNER 17TH September 1811. Elizabeth was from Tisbury Wiltshire. In 1829 Elizabeth TURNER died in Tilsbury. They lived in Hampshire for about 11 years. Edward birth place is still unknown but I am of the understanding that he may have been born in 1789 and had a father or brother named Richard.
I have a good source that suggests Edward also came to South Australia a year after the boys, on the ship the Buckinghamshire with his daughter MaryAnn."Buckinghamshire" Departed London Dec 11th 1838 & arrived Adelaide on 21st March 1839.
The following Turners were on board:
Edward Turner  Snr, 49, widower, farmer.
Edward       Jnr, 25, butcher, son of Edward snr.
Mary A.       21, dressmaker, daughter of Edward snr.
Jane            20, housemaid,          "      "        "
Thomas      19, labourer, son of Edward snr.
Charles      17, labourer,         " "
Noah          15, labourer             " " 
Other Turners were recorded on this ship and have him as their father but at least Noah at this stage, is confirmed NOT to be. I think he just got tagged with Edward by mistake. Charles is doubtful too.  More on Mary Ann. After the death of her Husband, William Gandy in 1862  in Victoria she married Robert McBride in 1863. Mary Ann McBride died in 1869 in Victoria, aged 50. Her father was Edward Turner and mother Elizabeth unknown and she was born in "Hamp". I think this may confirm that she is the sister of John Browning Turner.
Please let me know if you are interested in any of this info. I am happy to swap notes.
How are you related?
Heather

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 June 14 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Just found this post - I think we're distantly related!  Henry James Browning Turner (John's brother) is MY great, great Grandfather.  His eldest son Richard, b 1845, his son Henry Darling Turner b 1875, then my father.

There's no-one I can ask who's living who might know where the Turners were from, but I'm intrigued to find out how you came by this information/conclusion.  You would not be so happy to have found this out if there was any doubt in your mind.  :) Can you tell me more?

Thanks,

Candy

Offline Heatherleao

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Candy,
I am away now and back on the 8th July. I have many sources including Parish records. You can see the Parish records in the Nether Wallop, Hampshire on line. I know I went through a particular site to find them but I cannot remember which one. I can tell you more about this when I return home. Am I able to e mail you directly? I am a bit of an novice with this site and have not got the courage to give you my direct e mail (which I am happy to do) as I am not sure how to do that without everyone seeing it! If you have any questions feel free to list them. Basically the browning Turners came out on Two boats and can be connected. The Biographical index of South Australia has an introduction on many of the children and their families but there are a few small mistakes such as John Browning TURNER being born in Fishborne. He probably resided there! Hope this helps Heather

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Thanks for your reply!  Um, it was my first post too, so I'm not sure how we can communicate 'off forum' either without a public disclosure which is also probably against the rules anyway.  Looks like Nether Wallop (you couldn't make it up, Monty Python couldn't have done better) is on Find My Past, which I don't have a subscription too.  Not sure how successful this post will be, but it's great to find this or any information about the Turners.  :D Enjoy your break...