Author Topic: Jowetts of Swansea, 1861 Census  (Read 3170 times)

Offline gemini308

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jowetts of Swansea, 1861 Census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 May 05 18:22 BST (UK) »
PeterW, Hi, I have just read your mail, and it was of interest as I have just started into looking at my family tree, It would appear that my grandfather is William Frederick Jowett, born 1879-1939, He apparently came to wales from Derby, I just contacted a uncle that I did not know about, Jack Jowett, his granddaughter had compile a family tree which I am waiting to get a copy of. He and my mother Jenny were of 8 children, My mother married a Joseph Albert Webber, she is still alive and was born in 1912, if it appears this is same family I would appreciate knowing if you are a relative
Gemini308

Offline PeterW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 May 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemini308,

There is a "William Frederick Jowett" in my wife's family tree who was born in Morriston, Wales circa 1880.

He may have been a national rugby player with the 1904 Lions while touring in New Zealand and Australia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/international/4428407.stm

Also check the family tree listed on the following message board that I posted on 3 Dec 2003:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.jowett/43

During the 1901 Census, William F. Jowett was living with his parents (Frederick and Mary Jowett) at 50 Westbury St. in the parish of St. Gabriel in the district of town of Swansea. William was 21 years of age at the time and his occupation was listed as "pupil school teacher".

I would be very interest to know if there is any connection to your family since there were very few "Jowett" families living in the area of Swansea during the late 1800"s.  :)

Peter

Offline gemini308

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi peterW, I do believe there is a connection, My mother told me her father William was a school teacher and also a Welsh rugby international, He had Daughters, Vi, deceased, Jenny(my mother,) still living, Eve, still living, Sons jack and Wilf. there were a couple more that I am waiting for info on, who was your wife's jowett connection
Gemini308

Offline PeterW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 May 05 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemini308,

It does appear that there is a family connection!  ;D

I think that we might continue further correspondence through regular email.

My email address is:
MODERATOR COMMENT:email address removed to avoid spam. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You