Author Topic: Rayne, Raine, Reyn etc of Shipley, Marwood Hagg and Thringarth  (Read 7077 times)

Offline mwr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rayne, Raine, Reyn etc of Shipley, Marwood Hagg and Thringarth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
The copy of the Shipley arms that we have has the following text:

"Thomas Raine of Sweet Shipley. Married ye daughter and Heir of Sir Simon Borard Lord of Clifton in Buckingham Shire, and had two other Lord Shipps, one in Bedford Shire and the other in Leicester Shire.

"He was by this macth Dns Raine de Clifton.         Afterwards, severall of the Heirs of the said family of Raines married into the Worshipfull and Renowned viz.
                                ( Maleverer of Yorkshire   )
  "Into ye family of      ( Froike of ye West           )
                                ( Broughton of Cheshire    )
                                ( Booth of Chester           )"

Mr Berrill, a Clifton Reynes expert who I consulted about this many years ago wrote that the armorial shield probably dates from the C17, and that the loss of the 's' from the surname is a worry. He wrote it could be that a Shipley Rayne obtained some information about the Buckinghamshire branch of the Reynes family and adjusted their arms accordingly. However he also wrote that the reference to Maleverer of York is most interesting, since it is not identified in the pedigree given by the Brudenall Family which was used by Lipscomb and other Buckinghamshire historians.

As you, say the existence of a Marwood in Kent that was connected with the Reynes of Clifton is interesting. Possibly the Marwood in Kent was named after Marwood in Teesdale, since Marwood is mentioned in the Durham copy of Symeon's Life of St Cuthbert written in 1050 AD, indicating that the name 'Marwood' existed in the north in 850 AD.

Have you considered the possibility of a connection with the Raymes of Aydon and Shortflatt in Northumbria?

Regards,

mwr

Offline mwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 October 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi skida,

I recently looked at a 1763 field plan of Shipley and Marwood at the Durham County Record Office . This includes thumbnail sketches of a cluster of buildings at High Shipley, and another building (no longer standing) near the River Tees opposite Cotherstone labelled Sweet Shipley.

Regards,

mwr

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 October 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I missed your posts mwr, but I don't think the email notification is working for me on this thread.

That is another coincidence, as I know that the house or estate at Clifton Reynes was at one time called Sweet Shipley. It is all rather frustrating.

Thanks for the extra info.
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline AndrewGriffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 October 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am interested in the Raynes family of Appleton-le-Street in Yorkshire, being descended from James Raynes, who died there in 1642.
I have seen claims, but no proof, that this family is descended from the Bucks Raines. They have a page in Dugdale's Visitation of Yorkshire in 1666. I know nothing of heraldry, but Dugdale described their arms (Azure, a chevron engrailed between three cranes' heads erased Argent, each holding in the beak an oak-branch, leaves Vert, acorns Or) and I am attaching the sketch.
A grandson of James Raynes was briefly Lord Mayor of York in 1688.

Grateful for any clues to their origins, or links to the Durham branch.
Andrew

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 October 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew. I am afraid I don't have any information to link James to my Teesdale and Langleydale ancestors. One of my many-greats uncles lived at Snow Hall in Gainford and there is some history here:

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/NEI_snowhall.pdf

If you scroll down to page 10 and look at the pencil drawing, you will see a family coat of arms on the building, with a chevron and three stars. The chevron and three items seems to be a common feature of the many variations of Rayne crest I have seen.
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800

Offline AndrewGriffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 October 13 04:17 BST (UK) »
That is interesting. I expect you know the book "The Descent of the family of Deacon..." , which contains an extensive description of the Reynes family? It's available on-line (I'll put the link at the end of this mail, as it is rather long)- There is nothing there to hint at any movement of the Clifton Reynes family northwards, but on p. 187 it says...
"WILLIAM continued to reside in the manor, and the barony remained in the family until sold by Walter, son of Geoffrey de Raines in the 13th century. Their descendants settled in Bedfordshire and Bucks, and from them sprang the Reynes of Clifton Reynes, Co. Bucks, and Raines of Wyton, Yorkshire. Burkes Landed Gentry, 1850, Vol. 2, Supplement."
Wyton is near Hull in the East Riding. This might help to explain the link to Appleton-le-Street (near Malton),
Andrew

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Finternational.loc.gov%2Fservice%2Fgdc%2Fscd0001%2F2010%2F20101009102de%2F20101009102de.pdf&ei=GQ9aUuBu47jRBeqbgeAI&usg=AFQjCNGXmnzuHPCL_x_Oi8q55n3OsFc2ZQ

Offline emesar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
I am late joining this thread but have only just discovered it. I see that the thread is dated with the month, day and time but curiously no year! And so I do not know how old it may be.

My RAINES ancestors lived in and around Kettering, Northamptonshire  and I extensive records of my lot. I am now researching the Reynes of Cyfton Reynes & Buckinghamshire.

Several years ago, to aid my research, I established the RAINES Families of Great Britain DNA  Project. One of the earliest successes of the project was that we were able to scientifically confirm a genetic relation between the RAINES of Northamptonshire and the RAINE of Yorkshire. I even met up with with one of my distant RAINE cousins (we shared the same ancestor 400 years ago) and we were shocked to see that we looked like one another!

I would particularly like to communicate with SKIDA if he is still online.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Emasar,

Welcome to RootsChat, I can see the year as 2013, the member you wish to contact with be notified of your reply by email, they have been online in 2019.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 23:26 BST (UK) »
I am still about! I don't seem to get email notifications for this thread (except this time). I haven't been active in my genealogy for a while, but I am always interested if people arrive with new information. Hi! emesar.