Author Topic: George Needham  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Titles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Needham
« on: Monday 30 July 12 02:20 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help me with information about George Needham. The only information I have is that he married Lydia Bancks on 28 December 1670 and died in 1688. They had four children, Leticia christened 7 November 1681 at Little Wymondley, Hertfordshire, Barbara, christened 20 April 1673, Eustache christened on 20 June 1675 and then another baby, name unknown, christened on 20 February 1676.

Many thanks, Carole

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Needham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole,

Welcome to Rootschat.

I'm not sure what sort of information you're seeking re George Needham/Nedham but as his great grandfather's two sisters are also my ancestors on two different lines, I may have some relevant information for you.

The Nedham/Needham family can be easily traced back many generations. They first settled in Little Wymondley abt 1540 when James Nedham (Surveyor to the King) purchased Marden in Tewin and the Priory at Little Wymondley.

Your George, from my information anyway, was the eldest son of George Nedham & Barbara Fitch (dau of Sir Wm Fitch in Essex).  George snr's parents were Eustace Nedham and Ann Norton (dau of Luke Norton of Offley) Eustace married twice, 2nd time in 1626 to Frances Wingate.

Eustace died in 1658 (his will is available at the National Archives - PCC - probated 21 May 1658)

George snr (of Little Wymondley) died 1669. His will is available at TNA-Probated 16 Aug 1669.

George Nedham jnr (who married Lydia Banks) - his will is available at HALS - Hertford Archives (dated 1693 - this may have been either year of death or probate year)

I also have further information about George & Lydia's children but you may already have that so wont post unless requested.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Titles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 12 04:32 BST (UK) »
Di

Thank you very very much.  You have made my day.  I have got some info on the Needhams but could not connect my George to the others.  Do you have the date of his birth as that was my big stumbling block.  I have his death date as 1688 which may or may not be correct.  I have his and Lydia's children as: Leticia b1681 (my 4th Gt. Grandmother), Barbara b1673, Eustache b1675 and another child born 1676.  I do not know his christian name.  Any help you can give with info is very much appreciated.
Again many thanks,
Carole

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 07:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry Carole but I don't have a birthdate for your George.
I understand that most of the Nedham family members were christened at the private chapel of the Priory but it may be worthwhile checking the original PR for Little Wymondley anyway.

To find out exactly when your George died I'd suggest that the date his will was written and date of probate would at least give a short timeframe. Maybe HALS will help with that information.

I understand that Lydia died in 1728.

re George & Lydia's children:
George Nedham: 1672-1726. Married Barbara Gregory of Notts. Three daughters - no male heir, so the Priory was left to the three girls.
Eustace Nedham: 1675-1708
Banks Nedham: 1676-1676 (the child you have with no name)
Barbara Nedham: b:1673
Mary Nedham: B: 1678
Lettice Nedham: (aka Leticia in your records) B: 1681
Elizabeth Nedham: 1683-1753 Married Simon Degge of Graveley

Also worth looking at the Visitations of Hertfordshire as the Nedham line is well documented there as well.

Cheers

Di

Offline Titles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 12 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Again, many many thanks for the information.  It is sometimes quite difficult to find information from this side of the world (New Zealand) without it costing an arm and a leg.  Will look up all the suggestions you have made.
Please keep in touch.

Cheers Carole

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 12 05:19 BST (UK) »
I understand how challenging it is Carole as I'm in Australia (you know that little island on your left  ;D )

I strongly recommend that you beg, borrow, buy or whatever .. a copy of a book by Evelyn Wright called "Forgotten Families of Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire" (no longer being published but I bought a copy second hand on the 'net)

It's worth it's weight in gold.

You'll find that many of your early ancestors are very well researched and documented therein including many pages about the Nedham/Needham family.

Happy hunting

Di

Offline Titles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 02:00 BST (UK) »
Di

Once again many thanks.  I have ordered the book and counting the days till it arrives.  Nice to know you are so near - just across the ditch.  I think both of us have done very well at the Olympics and the reputation of the South Pacific upheld.

Cheers Carole