Author Topic: Roberts family Meifod  (Read 4012 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts family Meifod
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
I have just been spending some time map reading, so that I can orientate myself with the aforementioned villages / towns and familiarise myself with the area a little.

Elsie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:23 BST (UK) »
They are in the same place on the 1841 - Main(e), Meifod. No farm name mentioned on that census.

It's quite usual to give a child the name of a dead sibling, especially if it was a family name. I have one family naming each female child Margaret - I think about 4 instances. Sadly, none of them lived.

Many of the places where they lived is good farmland - before the land gets wilder towards the west. Oswestry is still very much a market town (Market day - Wednesday). I lived in that area and can still smell the market day in my mind  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
I have the explanation for Henry from the parish records.. There was just one. The entry for 4 August 1829 states that he was privately baptised in July 1828.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the explanation about the "two" Henrys.  Must be careful not to jump to conclusions!

In the parish records is there an entry for Caroline's marriage to a John Jones? Caroline, and her husband John, emigrated to Australia sometime after their marriage.

Are these parish records online?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
The parish records suggest that Thomas and Frances were in Main from at least 1817.

When did Caroline and John emigrate - to give me some idea of the date of a possible marriage?

Some of the records are on Find my Past - www.findmypast.co.uk - a pay or subs site. They are a wee bit hit or miss at the moment. I prefer to do double checks with my own sources.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Caroline Jane Roberts and John Jones married in 1850 at Meifod. You could get a full cert of this from Find my Past   or the GRO:

Dec q, 1850, Llanfyllin RD, vol 27 page 147