Author Topic: Hughes family, Myshall parish  (Read 5069 times)

Offline cfhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes family, Myshall parish
« on: Tuesday 31 July 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered that my grandfather, Thomas Hughes, and his father, Patrick Hughes, are buried in Lismaconly Cemetery.

Thomas was buried in 1914 aged 44 and Patrick was buried in 1929 aged 82.

Patrick was married to Anne Kavanagh, who died in 1899, and they had 9 children. They were Ellen, Thomas, James, Patrick, Charles, Anne, John, Johanna, and Peter. They were all born between aprox. 1870 and 1890.

The youngest, Peter, is also buried in the same grave in Lismaconly.

Other than my grandfather, Thomas, the only other person I have details on are Johanna who married a Patrick Ryan.

I would like to hear from anyone who has any connection to any of the people mentioned above.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes family, Myshall parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This looks like Ellen (Nellie) marrying in Massachusettes

ellen hughes marriage

This is a possibility for James getting married in Niagara

james hughes marriage possibility

This is a possibility for John getting married

john hughes marriage possibility

This is a possibilty for Anne getting married

anne hughes marriage possibility

Tara

Offline cfhughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Tara

Thanks very much for that information. It looks like some of the family headed to the US so I may have distant relatives over there.

My grandfather, Thomas, moved to Dublin and got a job with The Dublin United Tram Company. He married and had 5 children and my father, also Thomas, was the youngest. When my father was a few months old in 1914, his father died aged 44. Thomas Snr's remains were brought back down to Carlow and interred in Lismaconly Cemetery. The family lived in Tramway Cottages(now Highfield Grove), Rathgar and as these were company houses, the widow and her 5 children had to leave the house.

This year Lismaconly celebrates its centenary as it opened in 1912. The local Muintir Na Tire produced a book containing details of all the burials in that cemetery during the 100 years and I have a copy of this book. That's how I found out that my grand uncle Peter Hughes and great grand father Patrick Hughes are buried there.

I would imagine that most of the Hughes family probably left that part of Carlow but I was just wondering if there are any people still in the area descended from the family of Patrick Hughes and Anne Kavanagh.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Well, hopefully and fingers crossed, someone may see this message and have a Carlow connection for you.

If you want to track the American connections I suggest maybe you post a query re the Hughes who went to America on the United States of America board on this forum.

There are great experts on that board whom I'm sure will be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of Luck

Tara