Author Topic: Margaret, Thomas & Elizabeth Roberts, William Lewis, Llangeinwen.  (Read 6857 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret, Thomas & Elizabeth Roberts, William Lewis, Llangeinwen.
« on: Wednesday 01 August 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm researching a Porthmadog family, descendants of Morris Jones, born Penrhyndeudraeth c. 1808, and Margaret, born Llangeinwen c.1817. Information re the following sought:
A marriage took place in parish church of Ynyscynhaiarn (Porthmadog area) on 11/09/1837, Morris Jones of Llanfihangel y Traethau (Penrhyndeudraeth area) and Margaret Roberts, of this Parish, by licence with consent of her father Thomas Roberts, in the presence of Edward Jones and Robert Griffith.
They appear on Censuses 1841 to 1871 living in Porthmadog; Morris a mariner, later master mariner, born Penrhyndeudraeth; Margaret born Llangeinwen, Anglesey. Margaret died 1877, Morris 1879.
Have found a Thomas Roberts (sailor) and wife Elizabeth, living in Tal y Poncia, Llangeinwen in 1841. In 1851, at Penrallt, Mariner(pauper), blind, age 60, born Llangeinwen; Elizabeth age 57, born Newborough. In 1861, at Penyrallt, aged 71 and 69; also son William, aged 39, mariner, born Llangeinwen. Failed to find them 1871.
Llangeinwen Parish Records records burial of a Thomas Roberts, 12/05/1862, of Tal y Pongciau (variant of 1841 address) aged 72.  M.I. on grave 91 records the following : Burial on  21/06/1824 of Elizabeth Owen, aged 34, wife of Thomas Roberts of Tyn y Goeden; also 3 un-named children; also son Hugh Roberts, died 26/06/1835 aged 23; also aforementioned THOMAS ROBERTS died 07/05/1862 aged 72. (It appears that Thomas was married twice, to an Elizabeth in both cases.)
M.I. (in Welsh) , grave 90, reads : In memory of Ann, wife of the late William Lewis, Bwlch y Fedwen, of this parish, who died 29 December 1841, aged 83. Also William their grandson (son of Thomas and Elizabeth Roberts) , Tyn y Goeden, who died 3 June 1863, aged 41.
The Parish Records show the burial on 20/11/1872 of Elizabeth Thomas of Poorhouses, aged 80. (2nd wife of Thomas Roberts?).
1871 Census records an Elizabeth Thomas at Rhen @ fawr(?) aged 79, born Llanfihangel. Number of households listed under same name, next to British School House - are they the Poorhouses?
Has anyone information on this family and/or advice re. local resources.
Emyr  

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret, Thomas & Elizabeth Roberts, William Lewis, Llangeinwen.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
Llangeinwen parish register

Thomas Roberts singleman married Elizabeth Owen spinster, both of Llangeinwen
on 10 Feb 1809 .

The register of the Calvinistic Methodist chapel at Dwyran recorded the births of:

Margaret (25 Feb 1816)  d/o Thomas Roberts of Llangaffo, boatman
                        & Elizabeth Owen of Llangeinwen, residing at Ty Coch, Llangeinwen
Elizabeth (13 May 1818) d/o Thomas Roberts of Llangaffo, mariner
William (1 Jan 1820)    s/o Thomas Roberts of Llangaffo, boatman
William (3 Jan 1822)    s/o Thomas Roberts of Llangaffo, boatman
Thomas (30 April 1824)  s/o Thomas Roberts of Llangaffo, boatman
                        & Elizabeth Owen of Llangeinwen, residing at Tyn Y Coedan, Llangeinwen

In addition, the birth of Anne d/o Thomas Owens of Llangaffo, mariner, &
Elizabeth Owen, residing at Ty Coch, Llangeinwen,  was recorded in the register
of the Calvinistic Methodist chapel of Horeb at Brynsiencyn on 16 Dec 1813. The
Dwyran chapel opened that year on 4 Dec 1813.

See http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/MethBaps/index.html

Following the burial of Elizabeth Owen on 21 June 1824, Thomas Roberts, mariner
and his children Catherine, Hugh, Anne, Margaret and William were issued an
order of removal from the parish of Llangeinwen to the parish of Llanbeblig on
2 August 1824. According to the Removal Act of 1795, this would only have
happened if he had applied for Poor relief, and he had been deemed non-settled.
He appealed.

Anglesey Record Office WQ/S/1824/M/286, 301, 336; WQ/S/1824/T/241, 242.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=221-wq_1-4&cid=-1#-1

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the very useful information.
Confirmation that Thomas/Elizabeth had a daughter Margaret born c. 1817 suggests that I'd found the right family and that it's worth me continuing this line of enquiry. I'd looked for births in the Parish Register without luck; was not aware what nonconformist records were available.
Information re attempt at removal of the family from parish of Llangeinwen is interesting. Thomas'  birth place is stated as Llangeinwen in all the Censuses. I'll probably visit Llangefni Archives Office tomorrow, or next week, to have a look at this info. I live near Caernarfon, so it's not far.
One query, re:
 "In addition, the birth of Anne d/o Thomas Owens of Llangaffo, mariner, &
Elizabeth Owen, residing at Ty Coch, Llangeinwen, ..."
Should this read "Thomas Roberts" ?
I'll contact you by PM to explain my interest in this family.
Emyr
Modified: Date corrected.

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
The entry for Thomas Owens was as appeared in the web page, but could have been
an error when entered, copied, or transcribed. However, it was a time of transition
between patronymics and surnames, and sometimes the grandfather's name was taken
as a surname, later to be changed to the father's name.

If Ann Roberts was his mother, there were two plausible marriages for her:

5 Jan 1790 Hugh Roberts bachelor labourer of Llangaffo issued licence to marry Ann Roberts of Llangeinwen
10 April 1805  William Lewis husbandman widower of Llanidan m: Anne Roberts widow of Llangeinwen

Hugh Roberts & wife Ann of Tyddyn y Gwynt baptised several of their children
between 1793 and 1799 but by 1800 Ann Roberts alone was paying rent to Lord Boston 
for the nearby smallholding of Bwlch y Fedwen. Both houses were in the north
of Dwyran village.

This was prior to the marriage with William Lewis and she was still at Bwlch y
Fedwen as a widow aged 80 in 1841. As you noted she died aged 83 in December
1841. The Boston Rentroll is at Bangor University Archive, Lligwy MS 134.