Author Topic: James Hutchison  (Read 23589 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Hutchison
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
That helps to confirm the details on Margaret and Donald's births.

What do we think about James Hutchison? Hard to say what happened to him isn't  :-\ Given how loose details were around Mary Ann, I would think that her showing as a widow in 1901 is not a given...compounded by the fact she shows as married in 1911.

The main details for James Hutchison so far are likely that 1891 census entry with Mary Ann and perhaps that 1881 census entry.

I think even if we found a death cert for him, how would we know that it was the right one?

The death entry in the poorhouse in Aberdeen in 1899 shows a James, 61, single, labourer, son of a James Hutcheon and Ann Grant. Not convinced this is the slightly younger basket maker, confirmed father of the first three Hutchison/Stewart children....

There is this possible birth entry to match the 1899 death cert https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBW2-WFQ

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 11:17 BST (UK) »
Maybe just a co-incidence of birth year and parents' names for the James I mentioned above.

An entry from 1891 makes me think that the James from Methlick with matching parents is not the one. There is a James Hutchson, living with wife and children in Old Marchar. A police constable by occupation, born Methlick born 1834.

Monica

Offline robhutch18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 11:51 BST (UK) »

The main details for James Hutchison so far are likely that 1891 census

h.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBW2-WFQ

Monica

I've looked into this census record as it's the only one we are sure of as being him and has his 'age' and 'place of birth'. There is a James Hutchison that was born in Edinburgh in December, 1850 (father David Hutchison, mother Janet Wilkie) - a few trees on ancestry have assumed this James to be correct one, but I am not convinced.

This James does fit with the 1891 census record, albeit he is from a settled family who lived in Canongate, Edinburgh for many years. The 1881 census record for this James notes his occupation as 'commercial traveller' which is interesting.

However, I have also found a record of this James marrying an Elizabeth Ferguson in June, 1891 - in the middle of the period he was having children with Mary. So, unless he was a 'bigamist' and travelling back and forth between the north east and Edinburgh regularly, this can't be our James...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
I agree Robert. I also saw the mention of the Edinburgh James is some people's research but for similar reasons, counted him out...

That is when I jumped to the 1881 entry to see where that could take us. Flst found likely details of a Dundee birth for the young Catherine, illegitmate, mother an Elizabeth Hutchison.

Curiosity got the better of me & I downloaded the birth certificate for Catherine Hutchison (born 1874 )in Dundee.She was illegitimate. Her mother was Elizabeth Hutchison, pauper,formerly a spinner in factory. Perhaps there's poor relief records available for her showing more details about the Hutchisons. Could it be that Catherine (senior) & James were siblings?
flst

I haven't looked at the original entry for 1881, so not sure what relationship is given for the James, Catherine snr. and younger, other than lodger and daughter.

Catherine Sullivan 55, Heather Croom Maker, b. B.Ferry, Forfarshire
James Hutchison 34, lodger, basket maker, b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Catherine Hutchison 33, lodger, hawker, b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Catherine Hutchison 5 daughter b. Dundee

Address: Dundas St, Bell'S Land, Monifieth Angus

Possible for young Catherine in 1891:

Cathrine Hutchan, 16, General Serv: Dom, b. Dundee working at W Brakens Rd, Brakens Farm in Strathmartine, Angus.

Monica

Offline robhutch18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:31 BST (UK) »

Flst found likely details of a Dundee birth for the young Catherine, illegitmate, mother an Elizabeth Hutchison.

Curiosity got the better of me & I downloaded the birth certificate for Catherine Hutchison (born 1874 )in Dundee.She was illegitimate. Her mother was Elizabeth Hutchison, pauper,formerly a spinner in factory. Perhaps there's poor relief records available for her showing more details about the Hutchisons. Could it be that Catherine (senior) & James were siblings?
flst

I haven't looked at the original entry for 1881, so not sure what relationship is given for the James, Catherine snr. and younger, other than lodger and daughter.

Catherine Sullivan 55, Heather Croom Maker, b. B.Ferry, Forfarshire
James Hutchison 34, lodger, basket maker, b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Catherine Hutchison 33, lodger, hawker, b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Catherine Hutchison 5 daughter b. Dundee

Address: Dundas St, Bell'S Land, Monifieth Angus

Possible for young Catherine in 1891:

Cathrine Hutchan, 16, General Serv: Dom, b. Dundee working at W Brakens Rd, Brakens Farm in Strathmartine, Angus.

Monica

Monica, I checked the original 1881 record and all three (James, Catherine snr & jnr) are listed as lodgers. James and Catherine snr are noted as married (presumably to each other?) and Catherine jnr is noted as unmarried (obvious for a 5 year old!). There is no mention of Catherine jnr being the daughter of anyone. Could she be the neice of James and her mother Elizabeth is no longer about?

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking that James lied several times about where he came from, or he forgot what he told people, and if you tell a lie, the next time anybody asks anything you forget, as it isn't the truth.  I noticed that Edinburgh track and I thought that it wasn't that far from Newcastle.  I have to tell you that David was John's double, (his older brother) and they certainly look very much alike except that David was taller and slimmer.  Also, the father of the youngest three had the nickname of Foley as a first name, whoever he was. 
Talking about all the Catherines, it is odd that the landlady was also Catherine, and could she have been related to the other two Catherines.

Offline Ptolemy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 15 May 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
In the off-chance that anyone might still be following this thread, please PM me. I may have (potentially) very useful info on this particular family which ties in quite well with a lot of the foregoing...

Offline Ptolemy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 16 May 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hullo Rob - cheers for the message, apparently I've to make three posts before I can respond - here's 2...

Offline Ptolemy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 16 May 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
And three! Should hopefuly be able to respond now