Author Topic: James Hutchison  (Read 23551 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Hutchison
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
I am guessing that James and Mary didn't marry (or at least not in a statutory service that would be registered). I think this explains why Mary and the children swapped around with the two surnames of Stewart and Hutchison. Often happens with illegitimate births that children is future years went by either surname, swapping and changing along the way. Makes it hard sometimes to trace people for this reason.

The problem with family stories, as you are finding now, is that when you start to trace back, sometimes facts don't always match - you can only go with what you find along the way really....

I have just found an online family tree on A/try. Some details from there include the following:

Sister Elizabeth's Roman Catholic baptism and birth:

01/09/1893
Name: HUTCHISON ELIZABETH
Parents: JAMES HUTCHISON/MARY ANN STEWART
Sex: F
Baptism: STRICHEN 1893: Births, District of Peterhead, County of Aberdeen, Page 87, Entry No 261
Name: Lizzie Hutchison (Illegitimate)
Birth: 4 June 1893, 16:00hrs
Place: Geddle Braes, Peterhead
Father: James Hutchison (Basket maker)
Mother: Mary Ann Stewart (Pedlar)
Domicile: Parish of Fraserburgh
Signed: Mary Ann Stewart - Mother ("X" her Mark)
Signed: James Hutchison - Father (Present)
Witness: J McDonald - Asst Registrar
Registered: Alex Robertson - Registrar, 11 June 1893, Peterhead

There are some further details for Elizabeth, all too recent to mention here on the main board. The main thing though is that in all the details that do mention her father as James Hutchison, he shows a a basket maker rather than a coal miner. Really, as we had in 1891.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 August 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica-how do I get into that A/Try without going into a loop on the internet pages, reflecting every word on here?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 August 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
To access that side of Ancestry, (member trees) you need a subscription  :-\

I found this entry from 1881 which is worth keeping on reserve until you find more regarding James:

Catherine Sullivan 55, Heather Croom Maker, b. B.Ferry, Forfarshire
James Hutchison 34, lodger, basket maker, b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Catherine Hutchison 33, lodger, hawker, b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Catherine Hutchison 5 daughter b. Dundee

Address: Dundas St, Bell'S Land, Monifieth Angus

Possible for young Catherine in 1891:

Cathrine Hutchan, 16, General Serv: Dom, b. Dundee working at W Brakens Rd, Brakens Farm in Strathmartine, Angus.

I know that the birth place for this James from 1881 is different, but sometimes people gave confusing and contradicting info. Worth keeping in mind until you find out more. I thought maybe Catherine Snr has died, young Catherine out working by 1891 and James by then living together and having children with Mary ann Stewart.

Just guesses for now  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 August 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with you and that he was a lot older than Mary, and that he had a past life. Where did this Newcastle come from then? It's such a mystery, but would make a great book.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 August 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
Regarding the name Pearl, my gt.aunts were called Pearl, Ruby & Coral. Those were their christian names & not pet names!
flst :)
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 August 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
Great names of precious stones- an  analogy would be Hazel, Heather, Lilac of the plant names.  I'm pretty sure that Pearl was the correct name.  I actually thought that she was James daughter from a previous. She was always talked about with love and respect and highly regarded, and there was worry in peoples voices too when they talked of her.  I have a photo of her and she is very beautiful and she is holding baby twins wrapped in blue (I think) one one each arm, and I don't know if they were hers or not, as she looked about 50 in the photo.

Offline robhutch18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 October 12 13:18 BST (UK) »
Also looking for more info. on this James Hutchison (my Gt. Gt. Granda). I am quite confident that there was no 'official' marriage between James and Mary Stewart - as was common in the community. Mary had six children that I know of and they were registered with these names:

James Hutchison - born 1889
John Hutchison - born 1891
Lizzie Hutchison - born 1893
Robert Stewart - born 1896
David Stewart - born 1900
Charles Stewart - born 1903

James signed the birth register for the first three, but there is no mention of him in the registers of the last three. Is it possible that they may have a different, unknown, father? I have most of the records for Mary including the census's of 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901, together with the registers of her birth and death. The register of her death notes her as being single (as opposed to widowed (or divorced?)).

I have never heard that James may have been a miner and he is noted as a licenced hawker on the register of the birth of his son James and basket maker on all other records (births of John and Lizzie and the marriages of Lizzie and Robert).

I've tried and tried to find the death register of James but no luck?! Also can't find any of the family in the 1911 census, which should be the easyiest to find - anyone else have any susccess?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 October 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me & I downloaded the birth certificate for Catherine Hutchison (born 1874 )in Dundee.She was illegitimate. Her mother was Elizabeth Hutchison, pauper,formerly a spinner in factory. Perhaps there's poor relief records available for her showing more details about the Hutchisons. Could it be that Catherine (senior) & James were siblings?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 October 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think that seeing as Catherine and James were born nearly within the same year, it is unlikely that they were siblings, maybe cousins though.  I have a death certificate from the OPR's for James Hutchison but it may be false.  On the search list, it gave his age as 51, he maybe look 61 owing to his life style, and when I downloaded the extract, it put him as 61, and seeing as he died of Cirrosis of the liver and Uncertain Senile decay changes, in St Nicholas Poorhouse in Aberdeen in the 1899 Census. I thought that it kind of fitted what I was expecting to find, however, it gave a very narrow conception, allowance for him to be David's father, but it was possible.   This particular James died on October 3rd 1899, and David was born in August 1900.  I have it on good authority and I have heard it on a recording in Edinburgh that David said that his father was a coalminer from Newcastle and that he was not from the Travelling Society.   Maybe the three youngest boys did have a different father.