Author Topic: E mail in the mime format.  (Read 1512 times)

Offline robin j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
E mail in the mime format.
« on: Friday 03 August 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
I have recently started to receive emails from a colleaque in the m i m e format ( unreadable ).
I do not believe i have made any changes to my e mail programme (outlook express ) or he to his (which is also outlook ) . I have tried numerous ideas to open these emails to no avail. has anybody come acroos this before ro can make a suggestion.
Regards
robin
Leeburn, Leyburn,Leighburn,Limeburn
Wright,Nesbitt,Rossbotham,
Blair,Morisson, Mcmullen, Campbell
All the above names , resident N ireland

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: E mail in the mime format.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Outlook Express is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Suggest you change to Outlook(£!!!!!)
or even better Thunderbird(£free).

Both will handle MIME-format mail.

You can install Thunderbird alongside OE and "test" it.
(set the option to "leave mail on server" until you are happy)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Another vote for Thunderbird  8)

It seems very easy to set up and use compared to some of the alternatives.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 09:34 BST (UK) »
I have recently started to receive emails from a colleaque in the m i m e format ( unreadable ).
I do not believe i have made any changes to my e mail programme (outlook express ) or he to his (which is also outlook ) . I have tried numerous ideas to open these emails to no avail. has anybody come acroos this before ro can make a suggestion.
Regards
robin

Mime Version 1.0 forms part of the basis on which the majority of all emails are sent and recieved which would indicate that your problem lies in other settings. If you are recieving other emails correctly then the problem may lie with the senders settings

Offline mhg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
Strictly speaking, MIME is not an email format.  It is a mechanism for encoding attachments within an email message.  When you receive an email in what is commonly called HTML Format, you actually receive a MIME-encoded HTML attachment that your email client renders in an internal browser.

Outlook Express does handle HTML S/MIME but it is possible to turn it off.  It may be that this is what has happened.

I would still recommend, like the others, using Thunderbird as your client.  An alternative is Popcorn, which is a very simple lightweight client.  Popcorn is no longer supported but you can easily find it and it is so simple that it needs no support.
Areas: Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland
Names: Brighton, Campkin, Gray, Marshall, Milne, Riordan, Robson, Smith, Sutterby, Teasel, Young

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
If the problem is with the sender it doesn't really matter which email client is being used by the recipient.

While I agree that Thunderbird is a much better tool than Outlook Express we need to actually establish the parameters of the problem first. The question remains "Is this effect being shown on emails from ALL senders or just one individual ?"

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 12 00:01 BST (UK) »
If the problem is with the sender it doesn't really matter which email client is being used by the recipient.

I agree that from the original post it sounds like a problem with the sender but it's difficult to be more helpful without further information.

Windows Update can be the culprit in some cases, changing default settings without asking.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline robin j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 07:05 BST (UK) »
Firstly , thanks to all who have offered an opinon on this subject . It has been a challenging time just trying to establish a starting point . Is it the sender or the receiver ???? , as only half of his mail is affected ,and appears to have been on forwared from a another party . The other half  is fine . I will spend the next couple of days trying to isolate a possible source or a common thread . Maybe i will just have to tweak my settings slightly
Leeburn, Leyburn,Leighburn,Limeburn
Wright,Nesbitt,Rossbotham,
Blair,Morisson, Mcmullen, Campbell
All the above names , resident N ireland

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Enter 'mime format' into your browser search engine.
Comments from others have found a cure for what is a common problem.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire