Author Topic: Ann & William Bailey - Union Workhouse  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann & William Bailey - Union Workhouse
« on: Saturday 04 August 12 08:36 BST (UK) »
I'm having difficulty locating info for Anna Bailey who is listed as the mother of Francis Richard Bailey born 1856 in Union Workhouse Williton.  No father is listed.

In the 1841 census for Union Workhouse, St Decumans, I have found an Ann Bailey aged 6 b. 1835 and William Bailey aged 3 b. 1838 who I presume to be siblings.

The only other record I can find is in the 1851 census at Bathwick, Somerset. 
William Stains Head Marr 33 Labourer
Mary A Stains Wife  Marr  41 Labourer Wife
Ann Bailey Dau 15
William Bailey Son 13
Betsy Stains Dau 10
James Stains Son 7
Daniel Stains Son 5
Henry Stains Son 3

All are born in Somerset except for William Stains who was born in Worcestershire.

I can't find any thing else that matches for Ann or William Bailey or how they ended up with Stains family.  Any help would be greatly appreciated
Bailey, Exon, Coles (Somerset), Clarke, Piper (London) Keith (Ayrshire and Glenarm), McLeod and Matheson (Isle of Skye)

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ann & William Bailey - Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 Census I can see William 20 and Mary Staines 25 with Mary bailey 6 Ann Bailey 4 and William Bailey 2 at Somerset .
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Ahhh,  I see it now too.  This means that the Baileys living with the Staines are not my ones.

Now I have no trace at all for the Ann and William Bailey from the Union Workhouse.  I can't find anything before 1841 or after other than the birth certificate for Francis Richard Bailey listing Anna as the mother.

If Ann/a gave birth to Francis in the workhouse in 1856 she should show up in the 1851 workhouse census.

Did the workhouses keep their own records and are they searchable?
Bailey, Exon, Coles (Somerset), Clarke, Piper (London) Keith (Ayrshire and Glenarm), McLeod and Matheson (Isle of Skye)

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
I will keep looking for you is there any other info you have maybe Anna married take care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 03:13 BST (UK) »
The only confirmed record I have for Anna Bailey is on the birth certificate of my g. grandfather Francis Richard Bailey.  The birth date is 04 Apr 1856 at Union Workhouse Williton.  There isn't anything for Francis Richard until his marriage to Mary Ann Exon in 1876 in Williton.

There is an entry in the 1861 census:
Hanna Bailey 27 St Andries, Somerset
Richard Son   5   St Decumans, Somerset
Robert John   3 mths St Decumans, Somerset

I can't confirm that this could be Anna and Francis Richard but it's the closest I can find and the ages match.

Any help is very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks, Tina

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 12 00:46 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of trees on A one has Francis's wife as Mary A Bailey nee Neville Exon but the parents are Francis born 1832 Martock Somerset and Elizabeth born 1835 Martock Somerset . The other has  Ann Bailey as the Mother but no Father could you contact the tree owners maybe. I am also researching Bailey's not the same one but I will keep these names in mind . Take Care Lynette

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 12 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lynette, one of them is mine.  The one with Mary Ann Neville isn't a correct couple, it should be Mary Ann Exon.  It really has me stumped regarding Ann though. 

Searching the records of the workhouse may be the only way of finding out anything of Ann/a Bailey.  I'm not sure if they are available, or how to go about that yet, but I'll have to look into it further.  I'm in NZ so I to do everything online.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 04:20 BST (UK) »
 I am not sure what records are online for the Workhouses if you Google the name there is a site that has the workhouses on it. Maybe post again and ask about the Williton Workhouse. I am in Australia Take Care Lynette

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 21 03:17 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE:
This quest has taken several years but I finally located "Anna" Bailey who turned out to be Hannah Bailey.  I now have a later marriage for her to a Phillip NURCOMBE and the birth of several other children and have also located Hannah's parents; James BAILY and Ann STAPLE.