Author Topic: a Cornwall/Devon geography question  (Read 6309 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
a Cornwall/Devon geography question
« on: Saturday 04 August 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
I'm from away. ;)

My gr-grfather was born in the Linkinhorne area c1850. His mother was baptised in St Stephens by Saltash. His father was born in Devon, but his (the father's) parents appear to have married in Cornwall.

In 1857, a batch of the younger children in the family, including my gr-grfather, were baptised in St Ive. In 1861, the mother and children were living in Plymouth; the father was probably in London but I can't find him. I've never found a marriage for the parents.

There were three children in the family older than the batch baptised in 1857. They were born about 1842-1845. The eldest of the three was supposedly born in Jersey but there's no trace of birth or baptism. The next two were born in Stoke Damerel, properly registered. The youngest of those three was baptised in London at the age of about 28, obviously in contemplation of death (he was already married).

And here I find the middle one being baptised in Torpoint at the age of five, after the 1857 batch in St Ive and before the 1861 census.

And my question is ...

The parents' address on the baptism record is given as Thanckes.

I see that in Torpoint today, there is Thanckes Park, and there are some houses called Thanckes (self-catering cottages in Portwrinkle, which are apparently modern builds).

Torpoint is in St German's reg dist, which doesn't show either Thanckes or Portwrinkle in its list.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/st%20germans.html
(I see on a map that Portwrinkle and Torpoint are on opposite sides of the peninsula.)
Nobody seems to give Than*s in Cornwall or Devon as place of birth in a census.

So ... what did it mean in 1860 when the parents' residence for the baptism in Torpoint was given as "Thanckes itp" (in this parish)? Was it a place, a house ...? Anybody know, or any ideas?

Thanckes! ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: a Cornwall/Devon geography question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 12 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there

If you do a search for Torpoint, Cornwall you will see it mentions Thanckes.
It was a house with a large ornimental garden and home of the Graves family. 
There is also a muddy lake called Thanckes lake. It is now a Park and has
been preserved as a recreational place and used for that always.   It is a small place but
your family could well have worked in the house or land for the
Graves family maybe?
The house has gone now  but it does lie near a naval fuel base which
again could have brought people there to work.  I think by the sounds
of it it has been swallowed up by Torpoint now.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
Aha, interesting, and I shall read further.

The father of the child baptised was a mining agent. This isn't the same as the "mine agent" in Cornish mines, a sort of health and safey officer. He was an agent for mines; although I'm not really clear on just what he did, one of his sons-in-law did it, too, probably through the connection with his wife's father. His other son-in-law was probably the reason for it all: his uncle was a big copper and timber magnate in Wales, and Australia, and Chile ... Around 1870, my guy, the father of the child baptised in Torpoint, went bankrupt as a share dealer in London. In 1859 there is a draft licence for 21 years to work minerals granted to him (he is identified as of Middlesex) and his business partner, by Thos. Tristram Spry Carlyon of Tregrehan, esq.

So if it was that house, possibly they were tenants for a period? or there were smaller houses belonging to it, or something ...

Anyhow, one more bit of annoyance from this insane family, about the only one of mine who weren't nice plain ag labs or footwear workers. So thanks, and I shall read up!

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Janey

You have given alot of information but not really any names you were talking about.
Maybe if you could give us the names of someone you are interested in we
could find them for you, hence a better understanding of where they were?

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 August 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm sometimes a little cagey about actual names, just for privacy reasons. My gr-grfather is one of the children, and that's the point where I kind of draw the line sometimes on giving names.

I know where everybody in the family was:

- (well, in 1841, I don't know where either of the parents was, although I have theories about them - common names, lack of detail on census, crossing between Cornwall and Devon ... the second and third kids of the couple were registered in Devon in 1845-6, then the next ones in Cornwall)

- in 1851 in Cornwall (the family all together, as they're all listed in the household ... but there are questions about the paternity of the child born later that year and the next child, despite the certificates; DNA kit is waiting to get done later this month!)

- 1854 a batch of younger children baptised in Cornwall, 1859 the father is identified in the mining licence as resident in Middlesex, 1860 the stray eldest son is baptised in Torpoint

- in 1861 in Plymouth (mother and all kids, father not found yet but as of the 1859 mining licence thing he was identified as being in the place in London where he met his next wife around 1867)

- in 1871, all of them accounted for in different places (the father in London with his new "wife" - and their child - whom he married a few weeks later, while the first wife was still living - she was also in London with some of the kids - but then I've never found a marriage for them)

It's the father in 1861 I can't find, and if I can't find him, he isn't there. ;) He could well have been in Australia where the magnate from Wales (his daughter's father-in-law) was in the 1850s and 1860s.

It seems the parents were separate/estranged sometime in the mid-late 1850s, if not before (there being, of course, a tale about who the "real" father of the kids born 1851 onward were). But the baptisms still took place in the 1850s as if the family was intact, and it could have been, with him just living away for business. They may have cohabited in London in the late 1860s, as his former address in his bankruptcy proceedings was the wife's address in 1871. Broad Street! - the daughter was an actress. ;)

In case you're wondering ... amid all this wheeling and dealing and on-stage performing in 1871, my gr-grfather was hauling crates of biscuits in a factory in Berkshire, and ended up a gasworks lunchroom attendant in London, married to a police sgt's daughter, many years later before emigrating to Canada. If there were money and connections to be had in that family, we didn't get 'em. When his son married my grandmother in Canada, her father, a railway fireman, considered the marriage to be well beneath her.

Let me poke around at it over the next little while and see whether I can get any idea of what they would have been doing at Thanckes. Hell, maybe it was just the mother who was there, and I might find a clue about how she crossed paths with her alleged paramour ... ;)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 August 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Here we are, a little info already ... I'll just stick some here for the record and in case it interests anyone else someday.

http://archive.org/stream/registersofparis00stco/registersofparis00stco_djvu.txt
CORNWALL,
FROM THE YEAR 1539 TO 1780.
(published 1881)
... Towards the close of the seventeenth century two brothers (sons of  Stephen Warne of St. Columb) settled in the' neighbourhood of East Anthony ; the elder, Mr. William Warne of Thanckes in East Anthony, left an only daughter, married to Captain Thomas Graves, E.N. (father by his second wife of the first Lord Graves), to whom she carried the estate of Thanckes. ...

While the mother in my family was baptised in St Stephens by Saltash (her father's home parish), she gave Antony as her place of birth in censuses.

http://www.friendsofthanckespark.org.uk/history.html
The original Thanckes house was built 1714 and demolished in 1870, and rebuilt. The article suggests that by the turn of the 20th century, the house had been let as a country house and became a hotel (and was subsequently moved stone by stone to Portwrinkle!).

And the 1881 census shows it occupied by a Bradshaw family (he is captain in the RN, from London) with many local servants. No useful names, of course. There are also a house and lodge ... Gravesend House is occupied by Captain Branch, who is absent - but luckily somebody entered him anyhow! - and his servants. So Thanckes had been rebuilt, and both houses were occupied by naval captains.

In 1871, and also in 1861 and 1851, the Graves are in residence -- but at Gravesend House, not Thanckes House. Thanckes House was demolished in 1870, presumably why there is no one shown there in 1871.

In 1861, the Graves family are at Gravesend House. Thanckes House is occupied by Hon George Edgewoods, retired diplomat. I wonder whether my family were the tenants just before that, then.

In 1851, the Graves family also has the address Gravesend. I don't see a Thanckes House that year. There is a Thankes Cottage occupied by a farm labourer.

I think what the local history people call Thanckes House was called Gravesend by the family - but may have been called Thanckes generally, locally.

edit - here we are:
http://www.historic-cornwall.org.uk/csus/towns/torpoint/csus_torpoint_ca6.pdf
Gravesend House, a smaller country house on Gravesend Point, was built in the 1750s by another Admiral, Henry Harrison.
It's still there and its grounds are part of Thanckes park.

I now have to read up on Graves. 1851 describes him as Baron, Peerage of Ireland. Well, the mythical real father in my tale was the brother of a Baron, Peerage of Ireland ... just not this one. ;) And my best guess is that he was the brother killed at Alma in 1854, a few weeks before the actress daughter who carries his surname as a middle name, and adopted it as her surname before marrying, was born ...

Doncha just love a blue blood story? ;)

Now I have to see whether the two Barons were buddies, and maybe my grx2 grmother was at Thanckes in the late 1850s in this connection. But why on earth she'd be having her eldest son baptised there when he was already -- oops, my arithemetic, he was about 15, not five! -- and she'd had a batch baptised just five or so years earlier, I don't know.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
Fantastic story and isnt the net great that you can dig all this information up.

It might have been the prestige of christening the child in a posh place as
in those days you had to have prestige even if you had no money.

Living amongst the gentry could have spurred her on. 

Understand about the names and privacy but I am sure people will find it
interesting no matter.

regards Sandymc

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 July 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Here we are, a little info already ... I'll just stick some here for the record and in case it interests anyone else someday.

http://archive.org/stream/registersofparis00stco/registersofparis00stco_djvu.txt
CORNWALL,
FROM THE YEAR 1539 TO 1780.
(published 1881)
... Towards the close of the seventeenth century two brothers (sons of  Stephen Warne of St. Columb) settled in the' neighbourhood of East Anthony ; the elder, Mr. William Warne of Thanckes in East Anthony, left an only daughter, married to Captain Thomas Graves, E.N. (father by his second wife of the first Lord Graves), to whom she carried the estate of Thanckes. ...

While the mother in my family was baptised in St Stephens by Saltash (her father's home parish), she gave Antony as her place of birth in censuses.

http://www.friendsofthanckespark.org.uk/history.html
The original Thanckes house was built 1714 and demolished in 1870, and rebuilt. The article suggests that by the turn of the 20th century, the house had been let as a country house and became a hotel (and was subsequently moved stone by stone to Portwrinkle!).

The Graves family let Thanckes house, because the second Lord Graves had been living at Bishops Court, Sowton, near Exeter and as Torpoint housing developed, the house was not secluded enough from the public. After the 4th Lord Graves revamped the house it was moved to Portwincke and in the press cutting that I have about the move, it states that the Ghost got left behind, who was a servant girl in the house and was murdered by the butler.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
The Graves family let Thanckes house, because the second Lord Graves had been living at Bishops Court, Sowton, near Exeter and as Torpoint housing developed, the house was not secluded enough from the public. After the 4th Lord Graves revamped the house it was moved to Portwincke and in the press cutting that I have about the move, it states that the Ghost got left behind, who was a servant girl in the house and was murdered by the butler.

Dang this board formatting! I've finally had time to take another look and saw your message (quoted above in this one) buried in the quotation of my post.

Thank you, more interesting tidbits! At least I know that my ancestor wasn't the servant girl in question. ;)

Although ... just after the record of that baptism, the family is living in Plymouth in the 1861 census (minus dad) ... and the eldest girl, then still in her teens, has never been found in any records after that ... When would this servant girl have been done in??  ;D (No grinning matter of course if it was so, just grinning at the idea of more tall tales and mysteries in my tree.)