Author Topic: Wilhelmina (Mina) Telfer nee Henshelwood  (Read 4312 times)

Offline thomson10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilhelmina (Mina) Telfer nee Henshelwood
« on: Saturday 04 August 12 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for information on my Great Great Grandmother Wilhelmina Henshelwood born I believe abt 1812. I will 1st give a brief background info on what i have found so far.
 I know there are different spellings of her name, I have come across "Hinshelwood" and "Henchelwood". She was married to Andrew Telfer (Born abt 1810). They had a daughter Margaret Telfer(b.1851) who married my Great Grandfather Henry Thomson (Born 1853). I have the marriage record of Henry and Margaret Thomson from 1877 and she is listed as the mother of Margaret Telfer, Wilhelmina Telfer nee Henshelwood(deceased). In which would be about right, as I show Wilhelmina deceased in 1875. I also have the 1861 Scotland census and it shows a Margaret "HINSHELWOOD" in the census as her niece. Both the Thomson's and Telfer's originated from the Roxburghshire County and Henry and Margaret were married in the Parish of Oxnam, Roxburghshire. Henry was from the kirkton area and Margaret shows as living on the Phaup Farm in 1877. All the Telfer children also were born in Roxburghshire as well as Andrew and Wilhelmina Telfer

I am trying to find out who her father was and the correct spelling of her name and possibly any other background on both Andrew and Wilhelmina that they possibly come across. I did come across a birth record for a Mina "HENCHELWOOD" showing Peter as the father but no mother listed. So I am not sure if this is the correct record for her.
Thanking you in advance,
Murray

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wilhelmina (Mina) Telfer nee Henshelwood
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 12 22:49 BST (UK) »
hi,     andrew telfer b scotland 1818

his parents were john  telfer b 1781 -d 11 march 1860 dikeran? roxborough
ann davidson 1784 --1862

his parents were andrew telfer 1734-1804  roxborough&  christian  Lillico1761-1860

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
ANDREW TELFER  1818 BROTHERS AND SISTERS

james 1801
william 1810
margaret 1812
christain 1814
thomas 1817
isobell1819
john 1822

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
wilhelmina died 2 nov 1875 pheup scotland

Offline thomson10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for the great information! It's greatly appreciated!
It all sounds about right except the census records I have show Andrew being born either 1810 or 1811? Also I found where there was "PHAUP" Farm, but I couldn't find anything on "PHEUP" I am still trying to figure out if Peter "HENCHELWOOD" was Wilhelmina "Mina" "HINSHELWOOD" parent. I still can't find a mother though for Mina. My wife says that possibly Mina's mother died in child birth??
Thank you once again for the info!
Murray

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thomson10. The telfers are all buried in Southdean .The monumentsal Inscriptions have just been published by www.selkirkshireantiquariansociety.co.uk   on CD and includes Andrew and Wilhelmina   but the Ann Davidson mentioned by somebody else is shown as wife of a John Telfer not an Andrew. There are other Andrew Telfers mentioned also several other telfers possibly connected at differnnt farms.and more The CD has a digital photo of each headstone to go with each transcription and the first time this cemetery has been recorded. Nearby Hobkirk has also been  recorded on Cd at the same time as above and includes many other Telfers and one Mina Telfer wife of Thomas Grierson.Again this cemetery has not been recorded before.
Lots of new local info but i am biased as I transcribed them all and took the photos.
Hope this helps you.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
hi,  i came across a england pallots marraiges before 1837 wilhelmina henshelwood to a lawrence  armstrong frustratingly i cant make out the place or date,  

also on the I.G.I   MINEA   Henshelwood b 16-8-1812   hobkirk  roxborough
father  peter  one of her children was named peter so could this be the one?

also do you think wilhelmina sounds germanic?

Offline thomson10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
That does sound like the right one, as I do have the Birth Cert for their daughter Margaret Telfer and she had a twin brother Peter. For some reason Mina Nee Henshelwood Telfer and Andrew Telfer did not register any of their children until 1851. So I have all the kids on one document.
Also all down the through the lines of the family, they have mainly used surnames as middle names of their children. Family names included Telfer, Armstrong, Symington, Gray, Riddell,Oliver and Aitchison. Because of that reason, usually I can trace family members. But the Wilhelmina or Mina and Henchelwood or Henshelwood is no where present in my family? Also the name Thomson is not used in family middle names, but my Grandfather Henry Thomson was adopted and it was not a pleasant experience for him, so he maybe didn't want the name used??
And quite possibly because it does sound German, and with quite a few of my relatives fighting in WW1 and WW2, they maybe thought it wasn't a good idea to use a German sounding name at that point?
I can't believe how great everyone is on this forum at helping out!! It truly is a great help!
Thanks,
Murray