Author Topic: Was there any predjudice?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline ozwendy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Was there any predjudice?
« on: Wednesday 25 May 05 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I was just wondering if in the 18th century the Welsh resented English rule, did Welsh who moved over the border into England, (I have a lot of ancestors who moved over to Shropshire), sometimes try to cover up their Welsh birth places in order to avoid predjudice or trouble?

I have some confusing info were relatives living in Shropshire have stated in census that everyone in the house was born in the town they are living in(Shropshire), but when I look on BMD or IGI I get the right names and approx. dates, but births, marriages and christenings are taking place in Montgomeryshire, Wales?

Wondered if anyone else had the same experience?

Cheers
Wendy
Faricy -  Lancs.
Faricy, Gardner, Jones, Aldred, Battersby, Calland, Webb, Jones,Evans - Hindley, Lancs
Coleman, Price, Taylor, Ryan, Joyce, Barrett, Astin - Oldham/Failsworth, Lancs
Gardner, Evans, Jones, Williams,Sambrook, Davies,Wardman,Ellis  - Montgomeryshire/Worthern,Salop
Price, Thomas, Jones - Chester/Flint
Jones,Webb,Griffiths,Bagshaw,Bowen,Richards, - Dawley/Wellington,Salop
Faricy - Waterford/Cork - Ireland
Faricy, Robles - Austalia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Was there any predjudice?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
Not sure about prejudice, but a few towns over the border in Shropshire, such as Oswestry, were essentially Welsh towns with a Welsh monoglot population. Although today you will hear more English than Welsh in the markets, they are still essentially Welsh.

Some Parishes may well have been cros border (as some still are today), so although living in England, the parish is/was still in Wales. A case of Church and politics not being completely compatible I suppose.

Hope this helps somewhat.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.