Author Topic: Larkin/Fallon  (Read 3746 times)

Offline emmdee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Larkin/Fallon
« on: Monday 06 August 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.  I'm trying to find information about my Larkin ancestors and I've checked a lot of Laois records with no luck so far.

My g-grandfather was named Joseph Larkin, born 1827, and one of his children's baptism record (Roman Catholic and in Latin) says that he is from "Hibernia (Queens)", which I'm assuming means the Laois of today.
His marriage record says that his parents' names were Patrick Larkin and Mary Fallon and that's about all I know.  I have no knowledge of any siblings or his life before his marriage here in Ontario, Canada (1861).  Census records indicate that he came to Canada in 1855.

If anyone has any recommendations for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Larkin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Larkin/Fallon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
What sources have you checked already ?

The date of birth for Joseph is quite early and the problem is that this is before the start of many parish records. You usually require a more detailed location so that you could check what records are available..

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Griffith's valuation was a taxation survey taken between about 1846 and 1864, and the survey date for much of Co. Laois is 1850, so just around the time that your Joseph left Ireland. If his father was still alive at that time he could appear in the listings. A number of Larkin properties appear in the listings including three Patricks.

see : Larkin, Co. Laois - Griffith's

There are also a smaller number of Fallon households in the county that could be relations of Mary.

see : Fallon, Co. Laois 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline emmdee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies.  I have looked at the Griffiths Valuation and I think I have discovered there are only two civil parishes with both Larkins and Fallons in them... neither of those Larkins being a Patrick.  I did find a Patrick in three other parishes.  I suppose it's possible that one of those Patricks could have met a Fallon from an adjoining parish perhaps ?  I don't have much idea of the distances involved but maybe ?

I'm not sure where to go from there but I'm thinking it would be necessary to look at church records of the parishes in question maybe.  Since those records are not online, I'm guessing that the Latter Day Saints library in this city might have those records on microfilm.

If you know of any other avenues I could explore, I'd be happy to hear what you think.

Thanks again for your interest and suggestions.. it's very much appreciated.
Larkin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
One detail to be careful of is that the parishes used on Griffith's valuation are civil parishes, which are often have different names and cover different areas to RC parishes. You  can view a map of RC parishes on the Irish Times website - it also includes details of the civil parishes and townlands covered by each. as well as the dates for which records are available and where they may be searched.

see : RC parishes, Co. Laois

Shane
My Surname Interests