Author Topic: COMPLETED: Ellen Kelly of Roscommon who is your mother?  (Read 9429 times)

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Ellen Kelly of Roscommon who is your mother?
« on: Tuesday 07 August 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I once again reach out to those who are more clever at this than me.. I am trying to search the matrillineal line of Ellen Kelly...

This is what I know..

On the 1911 census which was taken April 2, 1911 she was listed at 34 years old, if my math is accurate and the age is accurate (big if) would make her born somewhere between April 2, 1877 and March 31, 1878.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002964349/

The 1901 census which was taken March 31, 1901 has her listed as 23, which would mean she was born sometime between March 31 1878 and March 30, 1879

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001067114/

So obviously my math is off or her age is slightly off, but it looks like a birth of 1877-1879.

She married Alexander McDonnell (AKA Alick) on February 13, 1899 at the Catholic chapel of Kilmurry, Registrars dist. Castleplunkett, Superintendent Reg Dist. Castlerea, county Roscommon.

Her father is listed as Patrick Kelly (not TOO common. hahaha) a farmer.

Her address is listed at Corlis, Castlerea

The witnesses are Thomas Kelly (big assumption this is a brother) and Mary McDonnell (big assumption, her sister in law)

I tried familysearch and found 3 Ellen's born in 1878 in Roscommon to a Patrick.. One to a mother Bridget, an Ellen and an Honor... Of course it may not be any of them as the records may not all be on familysearch... Couldn't find a Thomas born to any of those mothers, so sort of stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
David

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Kelly of Roscommon who is your mother?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

Could this be Ellen's family

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Baslick/Corlis/1665775/
John Poss Civil registration or not ??
Ellen Civil Registration four options 1877-1878
Thomas Civil Registration four options Apr 1880-Sep 1881
Agnes/Marcella Civil registration Jul-Sep 1884 Castlereagh

1911 Census for this family has the Townland as Carlis,parents still alive having been married 51 years with ten children eight having survived. If this looks right Rootsireland.ie pay per view check on Agnes should reveal Mothers maiden name then using this info check for the remaining nine children and the seven surviving children.

Quick check of mothers name could be a Crane or King.

Townland: Corlis
Parish     : Baslick
Union      : Castlrea
Barony    : Castlereagh

Baptismal records should be available under Tulsk(Ogulla and Baslick) for the period you are looking at via LFHC microfilms.

Hope this is of some help.

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you! This looks very promising.... family search has an Ellen born to a Bridget Kelly Meegan and also a Bridget Naughten.... guess its neither if them if you think King or Crane.....

Was 1901 the first Ireland census? If there was an 1891 it would list Ellen if its the correct parents..

I'll also check out the pay site you mentioned,

Best regards
David

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

Your answer to the census question
http://www.youririsheyes.com/census.html

At the time of the 1901 census there was only one other Kelly family in Corlis, a James married to a Bridget of similar age to Patrick and his wife.

The King and Crane surnames derive from a search of the LDS records for the John detailed in the Census from Irish Birth and Baptisms 1620-1881. I would discount the Naughton name purely on the location of Moore South being in the Athlone area a considerable distance from Castlereagh.

I feel Agnes is the key to unlocking the mystery. Only one Civil birth registration for Castlereagh is detailed ,she lived like Ellen in Corlis and her father was Patrick. Identify her mothers name from the LDS microfilms or Rootsireland and then verify with the other names Ellen and Thomas that you have.

The answers are out there.

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there.. I've checked the site.. Ordered a certificate for 5 euro which was the wrong one, but can't seem to see the Agnes or Marcella you are talking about from 1884... This would be in Roscommon correct? These are the ones with a father Patrick for birth or baptism in 1884.

Copyright information removed.   

Thanks again

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

I Just about fell off my very high chair.

I've bought the record you refer to and concur it's the wrong Kelly. I have widened my search +/-2 yrs due to variations of ages on the census and have a second Agnes born 1882 with a Brother Thomas and sister Theresa using mothers name as Bridget, and another four children using only the maiden name. Unfortunately no Ellen , or John who appears on the census . If you pm your email address I will send off the second Agnes baptismal record.

The christian name Bridget can be used as a substitute for a number of other christian names. In my own research I have found not only variations in the spouse christian name but also the fathers with their second name being used on Civil Registrations.

You will no doubt have seen from your search one Ellen with a Father Patrick in Roscommon born between 1875-1879. I think it will all come back to the family originally identified with slight variations in the spelling of names overcomplicating the search process.

Offline teresa43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Ellen Kelly of Roscommon who is your mother?
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 August 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hello David,
I have the answer to your question regarding Ellen Kelly's mother. Ellen was my aunt otherwise known as Aunt Ellie. Her father was Patsy Kelly and her mother's name was Brigid King. Her siblings were Thomas (my dad) uncle John, uncle Michael (died aged 25) uncle Pat, Aunt Delia and aunt Agnes who was deaf and dumb. Aunt Ellie was married to Alex McDonell, aunt Delia was married to a man named Cannon and owned a pub in Partry Co. Mayo. Uncle John married Baby Raftery and had a farm in Valeview Castlerea Co. Roscommon. Pat was married to ? and had a pub in ballintubber Co. Mayo,and my father Thomas was married to Mary Angela Shriane and lived in Corlis Castlerea. they had 14 children, I am the  youngest. If you have any further queries please feel free to PM me.
Regards Teresa

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 12 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Teresa! So glad I didn't remove this post! I've sent you a direct message!

Offline teresa43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 August 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi David!
I dont seem to be able to reply to your direct mesage. Can you explain how I can do this please. As it is 1am I am going to bed.
Good Night,
Teresa.