Author Topic: 1891 lookup request - Gurman  (Read 15987 times)

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 lookup request - Gurman
« Reply #63 on: Friday 17 August 12 14:08 BST (UK) »
I've been informed that on Find My Past Crew Lists 1861 - 1913 there is a Noah Gorman, year of voyage 1871, year of birth 1844, birth county Hampshire. The vessel is AUGUSTA No 15229, according to Bristol record office.
I wonder if this could be our Noah?
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 17 August 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
and here's confirmation from IGi familysearch of Noah being the father of the girls!

Frances Selina Gorman  bp 12 Mar 1871  Westend, Hampshire
daughter of Noah & Selina Gorman 

Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 17 August 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
I've been informed that on Find My Past Crew Lists 1861 - 1913 there is a Noah Gorman, year of voyage 1871, year of birth 1844, birth county Hampshire. The vessel is AUGUSTA No 15229, according to Bristol record office.
I wonder if this could be our Noah?

Just looked at that and the  information fits, so I reckon that's him. He must have joined them after the census as that isn't the boat he was on then. The Augusta had a crew of 20 in 1871.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
I found a shipwreck report for the Augusta (and another ship Flying Hurricane - it was on tow), but it's 1879 so later than we'd be thinking for Noah, and the report states the crew abandoned ship and reached the shore safely, so I doubt this is linked to his disappearance/death.

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
oh my gosh, been doing some googling and found this list of shipwrecks:

http://www.promare.co.uk/ships/Wrecks/ListAll.html

with this entry catching my eye:
name Augusta of Plymouth
type dandy
date 1872
location Plymouth sound, 1.5 miles inside

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
That is a good find.

I still cant find a death at sea record for him, so probably he was  reported missing presumed dead and that is why Selina could never marry George French. He was single, the father of her younger children and they lived together for at least 15 years so there must have been a reason.

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
So AUGUSTA no 15229 is a different vessel, I thought it was strange he'd move from a small boat like the Comet to a large steamship like AUGUSTA no 15229 was in the same year.
The Augusta of Plymouth being a dandy seems far more likely and it hits the right date.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
Is a dandy the same as a hooker?  I'm not very up on ships.  :-\

The British Newspaper Archives says that the hooker Augusta sank with it's catch of mackeral and 2 of......

How frustrating!

Were 2 crew members lost?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, what a place to stop - I think lilirose may have to buy credits to satisfy her curiosity.  ;D