Author Topic: 1891 lookup request - Gurman  (Read 15887 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 lookup request - Gurman
« Reply #72 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
2 men were lost - William FORSTER and Richard EASTON.

Back to the drawing board.  :(
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:12 BST (UK) »
arghhhh! I've just read an article from the Hampshire Advertiser and it says the two men who died were called William Forster and Richard Easton, and the two other crew of the Augusta were rescued. Could he be one of them and then died afterwards? But then why no death record? Will we never track down this elusive Noah?
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
There is this bit as well:

" hooker Augusta was run down off the. Breakwater on Saturday by the trawler Skim of the Sea. The hooker, with her catch of 3,000........"

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
William FORSTER and Richard EASTON.

They both appear in Freebmd deaths registered Plymouth Devon 1872.

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 18 August 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
out of interest I went on freebmd and entered under deaths 'unknown male' age 25-30 for 1871 - 1875 just to see if anything came up, and discovered there are lots, mainly around coastal areas, so I guess bodies of unidentified sailors washed ashore were issued a death certificate but with no name. Noah is probably one of those.
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 18 August 12 19:26 BST (UK) »
although disheartened by my excitement last night about the Augusta of Plymouth and then the disappointment, I'm not giving up on my search for Noah just yet.

I've found another Augusta wreck dating from 1876:
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1365149
a schooner lost of Hartlepool with a crew of four

now to try and find out a little bit more about it...

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 20 August 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
quick update - the crew of the Augusta 1876 wreck were all rescued. However I have discovered that this Augusta vessel is of Shoreham which given that Noah was previously on the Comet at Medway, Kent on the 1871 census makes this almost certainly the correct Augusta! Where I can take this search to next I'm not sure though...

-edit-
- darn, just seen there are two Shorehams one in Kent and one in Sussex
and it looks like the Sussex one is coastal, so probably that one. Might not be Noah's Augusta after all.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 20 August 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilirose

I was just reading your post and wondering how you connected Medway with Shoreham  ;D ;D  The Shoreham where the boat was registered was the Sussex one as it is a port. Its full name is Shoreham by Sea and it is in fact it is only about 15 miles along the coast from where I am at the moment.  The other Shoreham in Kent is a village about 6 miles north of Sevenoaks, so is well inland.

I think your idea about Noah being lost at sea and his body not identified may be as far as you can get with him.  :'(

Jan

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 20 August 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Selina applied for relief from the South Stoneham Union.  ???

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/SouthStoneham/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk