Author Topic: William Fulcher  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Yehudi Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Fulcher
« on: Wednesday 08 August 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
William Fulcher born in 1888 was shown n the 1901 census as being "Under detention until 16 years of age", on the Training Vessel Shaftesbury, at Orsett, Grays, Essex, England.

Where can I fine the reason/ Court record that sentenced him and records relating to his time on the Shaftesbury?

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Fulcher
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
The Essex archives I expect. I searched the catalogue for William Fulcher: http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/all_results.asp?intSearchType=12 but no relevant results. Maybe another Rootschatter will prove me wrong: they often do!!  :)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
if you put just Fulcher in rather than william in the general search rather than people search,  there are 3 pages of results.  a couple mention a william Fulcher snr &/ or jnr:

i.e:
,Indictment of Thomas Palmer of Wickford labourer, 1 February 13 Wn. III, there stole a black brown mare worth £3, belonging to William FULCHER senior Guilty, to be hanged. Witnesses: John Pettit, William FULCHER jun., John Glascock. [ASS 35/143/2/23]

but cnat see anything about court proceedings/will jnr
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.asp

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
The Shaftsbury was a training ship for "unmanageable" boys ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2514644/?page=1 ).

As it was run by the London School Board, the London Metropolitan Archives would probably be the place to search (they certainly have records of boys sent to the Exmouth which was also moored in the Grays area). There may be some mention of him in the appropriate Board of Guardians records.

Many of the boys sent to these places ended up joining the navy, merchant navy, or army. There is a William Fulcher b. 1888 St Pancras who joined the navy (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ ) - is this perhaps the same boy?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Looks like he did.
1891 in St Pancras with Parents George/Elizabeth
In the last Census available he is in Clee Great Grimsby, Linsc, Stoker 1st Class, Married.

A Family Tree has him marrying 1911 but no Spouse shown.
As he appears Married on that Census he either Married;
Nellie GROVE or Rose E RAYNER, March 1911, Islington, 1b 223

Looks like it was Rose Rayner as there are Births in the London area with that Mothers Maiden Name 1912/1917/1922/1926

Trouble is looking at the actual Marriage;
01 January 1911, Battle Bridge All Saints, Islington
William FULCHER, Stoker Royal Navy "HMS Foresight" has his Father down as CHARLES Fulcher, Coal Porter ???

Maybe its too late for me to be searching!

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
1911 George Fulcher is a Coal Porter born c 1858, Holloway, London.

You probably have all of this Y S and good luck with the other Records :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)