Author Topic: One or two wives?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
One or two wives?
« on: Wednesday 08 August 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
I am trying to discover more about William Godfrey Heath born in London 1905. He joined the Merchant Navy as a Steward in 1921 making two trips to Australia that year. There are various other trips in 1929 but then nothing until 1933 when he is in the Australian Electoral Rolls at 2 addresses, in Darlinghurst as a Steward and also in 1933  at Balmain with an Alma Muriel Clarice Heath, home duties. 
They continue to be on the Rolls in 1936 and 1937.  During 1940 and 1941 he appears to have returned to see as a Steward trip to Honolulu.

In 1943 he is living at Rocky Point Road, Ramsgate with Alma and is a radio engineer and she is home duties.  In 1949 Alma is still living there but no William.
In 1963 and 1963 Alma is a Shopkeeper at Paterson,Scone, but no William.

I can find no record of a marriage between William and Alma so do not know her surname.

In 1963 William, now an Engineer is living with Joy Margaret Heath at 2 Musgrave Street, Mosman.  I have found a marriage record of William and Joy Margaret Hytt at Sydney in 1957.
However from 1943 to 1958 there is a Joy Margaret Heath living at No. 88, then No2 Musgrave Street.  I can find nothing more of William, bt in 1980 there is a Joy Margaret Heath, at Ridge St. North Sydney a Hairdresser.  This may not be the same one as she would be too old I would think.

I am also trying to discover if he had any children.

A pretty complicated situation - does anyone have any ideas?
Mary
DEVON: Davey,Simmons,Pow,Vile,Judd
SOMERSET: Tyte, Millard
BRISTOL: Withers, Taylor, Tanswell, Crane, Newick
ALMONDSBURY, Withers, Gastrell
GLOS:  Heiron, Holbrow, Harmer, Shillam
LONDON:  Shaw, Vickers
IRELAND/BRISTOL: Gaugharty (and other versions)
YORKSHIRE:  Scothron/Scothorne

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: One or two wives?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Believe that Alma was ALMA MURIEL CLARICE ADAMS born 1900-Scone NSW the daughter of David and Elizabeth A. She appears on 1930 electoral register as Adams. Cannot as yet find a marriage to William Heath.

John

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks John  That takes me one step closer.
It is strange that William seems to have had two 'wives' at the same time.

Mary

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
You did not say what was his occupation, at the Balmain address.

How do you know for sure that it is not two wives, but two people named William Godfrey Heath?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 12 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
My guess, without being able to find evidence for it. Is, William and Alma either married overseas when he was travelling, or did not marry at all.

He has then either separated or divorced from Alma and began living with Joy before they married

I cannot find anything about a divorce on Trove, perhaps they were not married at all, Alma may have already been married, or William.

Remember that in the 40's and 50's people didn't just live together, they pretended to be married.

There could also be a time lapse between him being registered on the electoral roll and having moved on.

I take it that you have not been able to find a death for him yet.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Billyblue and mum mum. 
William was still a Steward when he first shows up with Alma in 1933.  Later he is a Salesman and then 1940-41 returned to sea (this would have been during the War) as a Steward.  In 1943 he was a Radio Engineer, with Alma and an Engineer in 1963 with Joy Margaret.
Alma died in 1990 aged 89 - a Widow but I haven't been able to find a death of either William or Joy.
Alma was still single in 1930 and living with her parents (at 30 years of age!)
It's strange that Joy was using the name Heath during the years that William was living with Alma her occupation was Home Duties.
I had hoped he might have had children but it doesn't look like it.
Thanks for your help
Mary

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 August 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Don't be too sure that just because William was listed on the electoral roll as living at a particular address that he actually was there. He may have left but not changed his enrollment details.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 August 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
Mary,
Would you consider buying the wedding certificate/transcription of William/Joy in 1957 to get some more details of them both.

John

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
Mary, if you do buy a transcription of the NSW marriage, you don't have to buy a full transcription.
You can ask for selected parts (which of course costs less) and of course if you decide it's the one you want then you can upgrade to a full transcription.

(This applies for the service I use, and presumably would be the case for all three)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)