Author Topic: Info about Robert Murdoch Lawrance, F.S.A.Scot.  (Read 11847 times)

Offline Northern Light

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info about Robert Murdoch Lawrance, F.S.A.Scot.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 March 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I have just read a series of articles that Robert Murdoch Lawrance did for the Aberdeen Journal 1921-22 on old clockmakers of the North East.  Very well researched.

Offline Stephanie Powell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
Please can you give me a reason for your interest in my grandfather. Two of his children are still alive and obviously we hold a fair amount of information about him.

Stephanie

Offline Northern Light

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Stephanie
I was researching a little local history book.  Essentially based on old postcards it tells a few stories about an Aberdeenshire village.  Two people of interest, father and son, were watchmakers.  None of the major works had anything to say about them but I was lucky enough to find your grandfather's articles which gave me some information on which I was able to build.  I hadn't realised that he wrote on a wide range of subjects, particularly of local interest.  That said, my knowledge of him is quite limited.
Best wishes
John

Offline Northern Light

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Also I see one of his many publications was The Pedigree of the Aberdeenshire Lawrances, 1912.
Someone should write his biography.

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Please can you give me a reason for your interest in my grandfather. Two of his children are still alive and obviously we hold a fair amount of information about him.

Stephanie
Stephanie, now I came with this reply, informing that you are a granddaughter of Robert Murdoch Lawrance, F.S.A.Scot. Your grandfather wrote several pages at Scottish Notes & Queries about the Murdoch family. I know his mother was Mary Ann Murdoch. In one publication he wrote that a George Murdoch (Feuar in Lumsden) was a relative of him (he did not precise the exact relationship). It appears that this George Murdoch was a brother of my ancestor Adam Murdoch (1793-1864). So surerly we must be related. You wrote that two of Robert Murdoch Lawrance's children are still alive and that you hold a fair amount of information. Could you please check the info he had about the Murdoch family?