Author Topic: Joseph Archer ALDRED / father George ALDREDred  (Read 7588 times)

Offline Labblack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Archer ALDRED / father George ALDRED
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am not sure about our  George being married to Isabelle Rowe. I have been in contact with the ancestors of that connection who are adamant that this was not the case.Quote "I'm sorry but you are not the first researcher to make the error of thinking that Joseph Archer Aldred was the child of George Aldred & Isabella, previously Rowe, Bell and Daley (4 marriages).
For starters Joseph was born in ENGLAND, not India!
George & Isabella had 5 children, all girls, one of whom was my great-great-grandmother. They were born between 1836 and 1845. George & Isabella married in India in 1834.
George enlisted in 1828 when he was 19 years old & arrived in India in 1828.
My cousin who is an acknowledged expert on India and the L.D.S. films for India has found his various locations with the baptisms of his daughters plus his marriage & then later his death.
I assure you he didn't go back to England, neither did Isabella who was Indian born and bred.
I've just had a very quick look on Ancestry for Joseph's birth/baptism. The following may, or may not, be his family but the middle name of his brother does seem to indicate that it is a possibility? I NEVER PRESUME ANYTHING!
George ARCHER Aldred, baptised 1841 at Leeds, son of George (cloth dresser) & Ann. Also baptism for Joseph in 1839 at Leeds, also son of George (cloth dresser) & Ann.
I also located a marriage for George Aldred to Ann Archer in 1836 at Leeds.
If you will forgive a poor pun, you are barking up the wrong tree!
Regards trifam1  "
So I have followed the George and Ann connection and so far i have felt confident that i am on the right track. If we can prove why and when Joseph travelled and arrived in India then we will almost be there.
Kind Regards,
Lindal Byard

Offline AldredBrittainCanavan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Archer ALDRED / father George ALDREDred
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
This is all so exciting! Hi family:)
My grandmother (Hazel Eva ALDRED) was daughter of Eva ALDRED (nee BRITTAIN).
She spoke often of Joseph the Cheif of Police in India who was granted land in Tasmania after his consignment and her Great grandfather George. My grandmother Hazel also often spoke of Joseph’s mother Ann- seamstress to the Queen. It was amazing to read below that her husband George was a clothier also, I didn’t know that- so we can see they had fashion in common!

Somewhere my family have a photo of what my grandmother referred to as our “Polynesian” ancestors. My grandmother Hazel and my aunt both had very olive skin they believe to be from their Indian lineage. 

My grandmother Hazel Eva Aldred knew her grandmother Ann died during childbirth after many miscarriages and that George was busy having babies with other women. Ann raised one illegitimate child (whose name I don’t recall) until she died. George was already with Isabella according to my grandmother and Eva ALDRED.

Eva ALDRED had a brother William
who died felling trees in Tasmania after she left for the mainland.

I look forward to learning more!
Louise

Offline Labblack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Archer ALDRED / father George ALDREDred
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 July 18 06:13 BST (UK) »
Louise,Hi,
Yes you are on the right track.What a surprise to hear from you. My email is lbyard@bigpond.net.au

Kind Regards,
Lindal