Author Topic: James Reid born 9/7/1897 West calder  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Reid born 9/7/1897 West calder
« on: Friday 10 August 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
I am trying to complete my family past jigsaw but cannot find out what happened to this man. I think he may have been killed in WW1 4 Jun 1915, Death location Dardanelles, Killed in action according the CWGC  a James Reid from West calder got killed in the third battle for KRITHIA. I also understand a James Reid is mentioned on the war memorial in West Calder. In the 1911 census he was living in Bathgate with his parents William & Christina Reid. If he was killed in WW1 he would only be aged approx 17.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

John

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Reid born 9/7/1897 West calder
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

I've a lot on Christina Calder's family, and a bit on William Reid's.  The Calder's are related to my lines and came from and still live in West Calder (a lot of them).   Christina's mother was a Greenhorn and I have their lines going back to about 1755.  Christina died in Bathgate in 1932 and William in 1935 both buried in Bathgate Glasgow Road Johnston Cemetery.

There are two J Reid's on West Calder War Memorial, one is Sapper John William Reid, Royal Engineers, and I have his parents and wife, the other is listed as Pte J Reid, KOSB, and I've never been able to positively identify him.  I've been researching all the names from the War Memorial in West Calder for many years and have traced the greater majority of them, I'll have another look, and check other sources to see if the James you identify can be confirmed.

I'll put together what I have and attach them once I check out this for you.

cheers ....   Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi meg

You have sent me alot of material previously on the REID line but its just this james that is confusing me.
Thanks again for all your help now and previously

Regards

John 

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 12 04:30 BST (UK) »
hello John.

try this site

http://www.btinternet.com/~james.fanning/thefront/page47.html

click on  ‘The Fallen’  this shows the memorial in West Calder.

on panel 3 is  J Reid.  KOSB.

run the curser over the name and you will find a report from the Midlothian Advertiser  14th July 1916.

I found my father's uncle W Y Grandison there and a notice from his parents in the Advertiser.
Davidson Midlothian & Peebleshire
Paton -Lanarkshire & West Lothian
Foster, Morrison, Linlithgow. &Peterhead
Grandison-Linlithgow,Bo,ness.
Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 August 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

thanks for that it confirms that it is not my James Reid on the memorial as the parents name is wrong, at least i can look further afield now

Thanks again

Best regards

John

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello John

See you got the information on the other J Reid on the War Memorial in West Calder, I'd got his WW1 Medal Card and was looking for his Army Records but came up with nothing.     Probably amongst the burnt records, along with all of my Gt Uncles.

I had a look at Bathgate War Memorial as the family was living there and can't see him there.

Will keep trying .......  cheers ...  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Meg

thanks for the work a star as usual.

This family appear to have scattered all over the globe , Detroit USA, NeW York, New Zealand. So there is a distinct possibility he may have emigrated but with no middle name there are so many James Reids.

Its dd all the rest of the family had middle names sometimes two middle names, James had none.

Thanks again Meg

Best Regards

John