Author Topic: Scottish/Spanish ties  (Read 17986 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish/Spanish ties
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 03 May 20 15:28 BST (UK) »

I believe that my direct male line ancestors by the surname of Munro came from the parish of Avoch in the early 18th century, and I have taken part in Y-chromosome DNA testing and of my 7 closest DNA matches two have my surname of Munro, three have the French surname of Runyon (or variations) and one has the surname Bustamante which is totally Spanish. So the story about the  Spanish Armada having a ship wrecked at Avoch could be true!

If they are "close DNA matches", it's much more likely that your joint ancestor lived  later in history than 432 years ago.

How close is the match to Bustamente?

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 03 May 20 15:43 BST (UK) »

I believe that my direct male line ancestors by the surname of Munro came from the parish of Avoch in the early 18th century, and I have taken part in Y-chromosome DNA testing and of my 7 closest DNA matches two have my surname of Munro, three have the French surname of Runyon (or variations) and one has the surname Bustamante which is totally Spanish. So the story about the  Spanish Armada having a ship wrecked at Avoch could be true!

If they are "close DNA matches", it's much more likely that your joint ancestor lived  later in history than 432 years ago.

How close is the match to Bustamente?

All seven of these Y-DNA matches are only 23/25 marker matches. They are the closest Y-DNA matches I have. I have about another 1000+ matches that are at the 12 marker level, but as you probably know they are not much use. So the 7x 23/25 marker matches including the Bustamante man is the closest I have. I think the 25 marker level is the minimum you need really for them to be possibly related. Comments appreciated.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 03 May 20 15:49 BST (UK) »
Just realised that you're talking about Y DNA, which is something I know little about so maybe you should ignore my last post! 23/25 may well be in the correct time frame.

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 04 May 20 01:02 BST (UK) »
My family all originally migrated from the British Isles to Australia.I have done a dna test which shows Western European (which includes England & Wales,)& Irish / Scottish  & a small % of Scandinavian .Of which I have no idea where I have inherited this from.But we have some very tall people in our family & a predominance of blue eyes.