Author Topic: Isadore Mendheim b. 1825 Germany - d. 1891  (Read 2681 times)

Offline LukeDouglas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isadore Mendheim b. 1825 Germany - d. 1891
« on: Saturday 11 August 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
I'm seeking assistance in finding where in Germany that Isadore Mendheim (b. 1825 Germany - d. 1891) immigrated to the New Orleans, United States.  His name might have been listed as Isador Mendkins as that was on his marriage certificate to Judith Culp (12/24/1851) in Georgia but, as many of you know, early Americans were terrible at spelling.

In his discharge papers from the CSA Alabama 37th Volunteer Regiment, this was stated:

The description of Isidor by the discharging officer stated "He was born in Prussia in the State of_ _is 37 years of age, 5 feet 4 inches high, fair complexion, blue eyes, light hair, and by occupation, when enlisted, a dentist

If anyone has information on him, please post as much information or reference links that you can.  He was my wife's 2nd great grandfather.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isadore Mendheim b. 1825 Germany - d. 1891
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 12 01:37 BST (UK) »
did he marry twice?
1880 census
Precint 10 Walton Florida
Isadore Mendheim 57 born Germany c 1823 Occupation - Dentistry
Nancy J. Mendheim wife 30 born Alabama
Hortense P. Mendheim dau 6 born Florida
Herman Mendheim son 4 Alabama
Galispa Mendheim 2 Alabama

Offline LukeDouglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
Yes!

Spouse & Children

Judith B Culp 1836 – 1870

William P. Mendheim 1853 –
    Rosa Kezelia Mendheim 1854 – 1889
    Isidore White Mendheim 1857 – 1902
    Albert A Mendheim 1859 –
    Belton Mendheim 1864 – 1919
    Hortense P Mendheim 1874 –
    Herman Mendheim 1876 –
    Galispa Mendheim 1878 –

Spouse & Children

Nancy Jane Matthews 1850 – 1933

Gallispie Mendheim
    Hortense Petrell Mendheim
    Herman Bruce Mendheim 1876 – 1965
    Irene Berlin Mendheim 1884 –
    Karl Fitzhughlee Mendheim 1886 –
    Colo Beatrice Mendheim 1887 – 1964

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
I hadn't forgotten you but I just can't get any further with this puzzle.
Do you have either of Isadore's marriage certificates?
I am not familiar with US certs but it will give his father's name I presume.

Offline LukeDouglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 01:08 BST (UK) »
I hadn't forgotten you but I just can't get any further with this puzzle.
Do you have either of Isadore's marriage certificates?
I am not familiar with US certs but it will give his father's name I presume.

Sadly, no!  One of his relatives hired a professional who did some extensive research about 25 years ago but I have no clue if they had certificates of any kind.   The only thing I've fairly confident is the line and birth/death dates.

Here was a comment I found:
Note: The first reference to Isidor we have found (and viewed) in the UnitedStates is in the Muscogee County, Georgia Superior Court records of May,1851 where he, Benjamin and Moritz recovered payment of $2.87 from thecity (Columbus).

Isidor and Judith Culp married on Christmas eve of 1851 (12/24/1851) inHarris County, Georgia. The record was transcribed as:
Mendkins, (?) Isador Judith Culp 12/24/1851

Here is information from http://mendheim-usa.com/mend.html

There are currently three major lines of origin of the Mendheims in the United States. They are:

the Germanic/Polish Mendheims that came from Poland in the late 1800s
    the African Mendheims that were enslaved in the mid-1800s
    the Germanic/Polish Mendheims that came from Prussia (now Poland) in the mid-1800s

I have done some limited research on the first two lines and much more on the third since that is my lineage.

Polish/German

The Mendheims that hail from Poland are primarily descendents of Edward Mendheim who was born around 1842 in Kolmar, Poland. Edward was Jewish and I have been told that he changed his name from Mendel to Mendheim; a practice not uncommon in that era. Family members migrated to the US during the period 1880 to 1920 and continued to live their Jewish heritage. Most of those that came to America settled in the northeast and midwest (the favored sites being New York and Chicago) of the nation.

African

The Mendheims that are African are primarily descendents of George Mendheim who was born around 1856 in Alabama. This line of Mendheims migrated to and settled in the northeast, midwest and west coast areas of the nation.

German/Polish

The Mendheims that came from Prussia appear to be from Küstrin. Their name was Mendheim in Prussia (but we don't know for how long). There were eight that came over (seven of which we know stayed) during the period 1835 to 1850. We have evidence that six of the eight are from Küstrin and that at least five of them were brothers and sister. Six of the seven that we know stayed, all migrated through Columbus, Georgia. The Isidor Mendheim "clan" settled in Alabama with the rest in San Francisco, California and New York City. Five of them went to California and three of those went on to New York.

While we do not know at this point their religious or cultural origins, we do know there were four who were Jewish (Moritz, Herman, Rosalie and Johanna) and that Isidor did not practice the Jewish religion. Isidor was active in the Judson Baptist Association and helped establish the First Baptist Church in Dothan, Alabama. It is very possible that this was due to his environmental surroundings.

More information from http://mendheim-usa.com/isidor.html

We are confident Isidor arrived on on the Howard October 14, 1841 but, the first reference to Isidor we have found in the United States is an ad placed in the Augusta Chronical in November 1841. Benjamin and Isidor placed an ad in the Augusta Chronical looking for their brother Ernest (Emil) who was reported to have been living in the area in 1840-1841.

Here is a link to his lineage: http://mendheim-usa.com/Exhibits/Descendants%20of%20Isidor%20Mendheim%20-%20Four%20Generations.pdf

My wife is on page 23 of 30, Patricia Kate Barksdale.

Offline dudleym2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 December 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Isidor was born in Cüstrin, Prussia (currently in Poland). I have included a copy of the record that was provided to me when I had a search done looking for same.

Dudley Mendheim

Offline dudleym2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 December 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Left page of Isidor birth record